Monday, March 05, 2007

I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

Stephanie has "tagged" me to share six things about me that would put me in the category of weird. After months of deliberation a panel of experts on the subject have compose such a list, which is provided for your enjoyment and educational purposes only.

(No animals were injured in the creation of this list.)

1. Topping the charts would have to be the peculiar lingo I've developed over the years, most notably "slooge" and "cag."

It's always easier to make things up than to remember, so I've taken many liberties with the English language. This might particularly be weird for one "allegedly" pursuing a PhD in Rhetoric.


2. I wear bow ties. In fact, I have only worn a "slooge tie" (i.e., non-bow tie) twice since 1995, for seminary graduation and a wedding (still tender here, Oilcan).

That's not, as they say, how I roll.

I have been, am now, and forever will be, Semper Bow Tie, the way God intended it.

C'mon! Join ... the few ... the proud ... the bow tie guys.


3. This one may be the most weird of the list, but it's time to come clean. I have an extreme aversion to green vegetables. I'm talking borderline phobic. There, I said it; it's out.

No one's really sure from whence this phobia originated, though I "allegedly" ate green beans as a baby. That's hard for America to believe, since green beans top the most hated list. I don't like them on my plate or even on the table, truth be told.

I don't want green food anywhere near the proper food, lest it become contaminated. This means no pickle on my White Castles and no lettuce on my tacos.

I realize it's likely an unsubstantiated fear, since I've never, to my knowledge, tasted of many of the fares in this genre of food. But, since when did fear have to be rational? In order to avoid the accusations that I was a picky eater at the homes of others growing up, I actually concocted the excuse that I was allergic to the chlorophyll in green plants (HT high school biology).

Due to desensitization training, I can actually eat lettuce (iceberg), in a salad (covered in bacon pieces and ranch dressing, of course). So, if you make me some funky weird dish that entails greenage, don't be tender if I find my appetite gone.


4. I love to relive movies by quoting from them and I only use quotes from movies as the titles for posts on my blog. Using and rehashing movie quotes is not unique to me and I've seen others ripping off my material by using movie quotes in this way as well.

However, that's all I use. Shortly after I began my blog I submitted to this constraint, which means at times it takes me longer to find a suitable title than it does to actually write up the post.

My original hope was that folks would recognize the titles and perhaps even give the movie its props in the comments section, but that has been rare. Nonetheless, I have included each movie sited in a list in my ethos.


5. I am a huge Marilyn Monroe fan, and have been since living in England as a teenager. I'm not sure I can explain this one, but I've always enjoy(ed) her movies and singing. She was/is a larger than life personality and one I would have been interested in meeting.

I've read biographies and find her a bit of a tragic hero(ine) as well. Born June 1, 1926, she would be 80 years old, if not for her tragic death at age 36. Like many, I have still yet to forgive the Kennedys for their role in her death.


6. I'm embarrassed to admit it, but I enjoy watching "professional" wrestling. It all started when I was a kid watching it with my Grandpa Collins in St. Louis ("Wrestling at The Chase"). I enjoyed me some Iceman King Parsons and fell in love with the Von Erichs. Who could forget Kerry Von Erich, the Modern Day Warrior strutting to the ring to the tune of Rush's Tom Sawyer?! Who could forget the epic battles of the Von Erich's versus the Freebirds (i.e., Michael Hayes, Buddy Roberts, and Terry Gordy)?

I was out of the loop for about 15 years, but the with advent of the greatness of TiVo, I'm able to check in periodically and follow that which may very well be described as a soap opera for men. I know it's silly and merely theatre, but it's quite entertaining in a very neanderthal sort of way.


See ... I told you I was weird and you didn't even get to hear about the many leather-bound books in my mahogany smelling office.

9 Comments:

At 05 March, 2007 21:43, Blogger R.K. Brumbelow said...

Funny you should mention the Von Erichs, as Jack Barton Adkisson was instrumental in my regeneration and my aunt used to date Michael Hayes back in his Georgia 'Wrastlin' days

 
At 05 March, 2007 23:14, Blogger GUNNY said...

No way?! I'm sure there's some VERY interesting story there.

Would that be Jack, Sr. (i.e., Fritz Von Erich, pictured in post) or Jack, Jr.?

I sure used to love to hate the Freebirds back in the day, especially Michael P.S. Hayes.

Hope you're well, Hungus.

 
At 06 March, 2007 16:19, Blogger R.K. Brumbelow said...

That would be Sr., Gunny. He was an evangelist and it was his testemony and presentation of the Gospel that God used the Holy Spirit to regenerate me with. It is sad to see none of his biographies mention this aspect of his life. As for the Fabulous Freebirds, yes there was definately an aspect of love for teh Von Erichs and despisal fo the Freebirds. Ah those were good times.

As for me, I make it last semester was bad, this one is better, and through it all God provides.

BTW you are not supposed to be letting members of your flock run off and tell the world via the Founder's Blog that he's going paedo... lol. - Hi Jay!

 
At 06 March, 2007 16:31, Blogger GUNNY said...

Thanks for the update, R. Kelly.

You're obviously familiar with the tragedy that family has had to endure, with so many of Jack's sons dying early deaths. I'm pretty sure Kevin is the only one left.

That is amazing about his testminony, but frustrating that no bio I've ever seen mentions it. He's basically Mordecai Hamm to your Billy Graham. ; )

Man, what am I doing wrong?! My boys are leaving the next and going PCA! First, Brian and now Jay the Bennett?

Yeah, Jay sure picked an interesting venue in which to "come out" to the faithful. ; )

I will say this, he's certainly doing his homework. He knows that covenant theology better than anyone I've personally had the pleasure to discuss the matter with.

Clearly, he's not just doing it because he needs a well-paying job.

 
At 07 March, 2007 17:18, Blogger Rev. said...

1 - Not so weird as much as being unique linguistic skill.

2 - Not so as weird as much as being unique fashion sense.

3 - "This one may be the most weird of the list..." you say. Not quite the weirdest on the list. The whole "chlorophyll" thing is a hoot. Dude, Castles are better with the pickle! (Had some Krystals minus the mustard today... pretty darn close. Mmmmmm.)

4 - Not so weird as much as being a big movie fan.

5 - Dude, this is the weirdest thing on the list. I'm not sure you can explain this one either.

6 - "Wrestling at the Chase"!!!! My brother, Scott, and I loved watching that when we lived in St. Louis. We were big fans of the Von Erichs. No weirdness on this one despite the fact that you are now a big person and still enjoy watching the wrestling slooge. ;)

 
At 08 March, 2007 14:13, Blogger etoc said...

I do want to tenderly object to no credit whatsoever, on this post or the Semper Bow Tie post for being the one who introduced you to the greatness of the Bow Tie. True, I have abandoned this One True Faith in your eyes, view the Bow Tie as culturally-bound dispensational manifestation of manhood. Nonetheless, you are my child in the bow tie. It strikes me that bow tie could be depicted as a bridge across the unbridgeable gap of the slooge tie... from THIS you have been saved!

 
At 08 March, 2007 14:52, Blogger GUNNY said...

Sadly, tis true. The artist formerly known as Glaucoma Dog was my first exposure to the greatness that is the bow tie.

However, he never thought I was ready to take that step in gnosis of knowing how to tie one, so I had to learn from my stepfather in the bow tie faith, Steve Brown.

Tragically, my father in bow tieness has been known to wear a slooge tie, thus shattering our image of him as a faithfull follower of Jesus.

Those memories were suppressed ... until now.

I will ... now ... and forever be ... grateful to my father in the faith for showing me the light.

In bringing forth fruit in keeping with repentance, I will give credit where credit is due in the Semper Bow Tie post, but will expect an avatar picture on etoc within a month demonstrating you still know how to tie one!

 
At 29 August, 2007 21:02, Blogger Unknown said...

dude, you didn't tell me you were a wrestling fan.. I am too.. though I criticize WWE so much.

I like the modern TNA better than WWE. My favorite was Bret Hart, second is the Undertaker.

 
At 29 August, 2007 21:21, Blogger GUNNY said...

I've never seen the TNA, but I heard that's where Kurt Angle went and a few others ... right?

The WWE has got so wheels off. It's a poorly written soap opera with few well written characters.

The Hit Man ... he was pretty good, sir. And the Undertaker is still the Phenom.

From the new era, I must say I liked The Rock and Stone Cold Steve Austin, the Texas Rattlesnake.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting