Friday, February 23, 2007

Our fathers were our models for God. If they bailed, what does that tell you about God?

I was asked yesterday if I would bring the girls some McDonald's for lunch at school. To their delight, I said I would.

However, I was thinking lunches started at 12PM, but they started at 11AM. In other words, instead of joy for lunch, they got disappointed as their father let them down. They wound up buying their lunch instead.

There's not much like the build up of excitement, only to be let down. That's a humbling thing to let your kids down.

What could I do but apologize and ask forgiveness?

Well, I also took the opportunity to show the contrast between an earthly, physical father who could prove unreliable and a heavenly, spiritual Father who was always and forever reliable to His children.

Christians have a Father who gives good gifts to His children (Matt 7:9-11) and works all things for their good (Rom 8:28). He is reliable and never lets us down. Although He doesn't always give us what we want, He always gives us what we need. Plus, unlike human fathers, our Heavenly Father ALWAYS keeps His promises.

Being a father is a huge responsibility, especially because our children will certainly see us as models for God, an eternal & heavenly Father.

My girls were justifiably disppointed, but they forgave me ... even before I told them I would make it up to them by taking them to Chuck E. Cheese tonight.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 23 February, 2007 15:45, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am SO wishing I was one of your children right now. I LOVE Chuck E. Cheese!

 
At 24 February, 2007 02:54, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awwww, Chuck E Cheese? Haha! Glory to God that you took the opportunity to turn that into a lesson about our Father :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting