Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Scholars maintain that the translation was lost hundreds of years ago.

I've been known to peculiarly use and/or abuse the Queen's English. Chief among the Indians, however, is the word SLOOGE.

I'm often asked, "What means slooge?" by people at church, SWBTS students (e.g., "What is the origin and technical definition of 'slooge'?" this semester), or friends through the miracle of the Internet.

Well, I guess it's time to reveal the story behind it.

Slooge is a word I concocted back in my college days at Texas A&M University. (insert loud "Whoop!" here) In the Corps of Cadets you're already disposed to have a peculiar vocabulary. It was similar in sound to a word my ol' lady, Chia, had in high school, but quite different in meaning.

Slooge didn't have much time in the spotlight, however, for years. But has grown in popularity and worldwide use.

So, Slooge is a word that can be used in many ways and has various meanings.

1. Slooge can refer to biblical texts that rock your socks off with the bigness of God and the pitiful puniness of humanity.
Back in 1996 a fellow seminarian was really wrestling with some Calvinism vs. Arminianism issues. He knew of my propensity for Reformed theology, so he asked me for my best argument for Calvinism. He said he would be going to Boston over Christmas break and that he would read it.

Not having that much time I instead typed up a project that had been years in the making. For two consecutive years I went through the Bible each year and made note of passages that were contrary to our contemporary understand of God and humanity.

Since I came to such conclusions sola Scriptura, I thought he might as well. (It's a misconception that everyone who holds to the sovereignty of God in salvation got the idea from Calvin, as James pointed out.)

I compiled verses demonstrating the depth of human depravity, the article by which Calvinism stands for falls for many, and the absolute sovereign control of God over His universe, EVEN over allegedly autonomous human beings (e.g., Prov 21:1).

In other words, the list demonstrated from Scripture that God has the ability and privilege to do with this planet and its inhabitants anything He so desires (cf. Ps 115:3) as He worked with a people on a planet, both of which were created for His glory.

Since hearing some of those verses and arguments prior led this brother to say, "That's some serious slooge," I decided to call it the Slooge Sheet (pdf).

After Christmas break he came back and said, "Wow! The slooge." He was in. Whenever we'd talk about theological concepts where it was hard to comprehend, he'd say, "Hey, the slooge."

2. Slooge is generally (I say, for it's hard to pin down) used as a noun to describe your stuff (similar to cag) or some stuff. Instead of telling your daughter that she left her backpack and jacket and McDonald's toy in your car, you might say, "You need to get your slooge out of Daddy's car" and she'll know what that means.

Context is key to understanding if slooge is a good or a bad thing, especially when using it as a noun. Sometimes it's neutral, like in the above example, but like in Oz, you have to ask, "Are you a good slooge or a bad slooge?" by the context.

For example, if someone wants to be friends with that slooge, it is obviously good. Conversely, if you hear, "C'mon! You got your slooge all over my cag." you know it's not so good.

3. Slooge can be a noun, but is not limited to such.
Slooge can be used as a verb. For example, if your baby girl sneezes all over your white shirt while you're feeding her carrots, you could say, "She slooged me!" (and I did say that).

The adjectival use is permitted as well. For example, if your cookie is in the milk too long, it gets all sloogey. A mutant boy who is undesirable for your daughter can be a sloogey boy.

I've heard the adverbial use, but it's a bit strained. For example, "He sloogily made his way through life." I would suggest sticking with the noun, verb, and/or adjectival usage.

After dispensing two tickets to the "Gun Show," Anchorman Ron Burgundy was asked about the lexical range of slooge. He tried to fake it, but ultimately had to come clean:
I'm sorry, I was trying to impress you. I don't know what it means. I'll be honest, I don't think anyone knows what it means anymore. Scholars maintain that the translation was lost hundreds of years ago.
But, you won't have to fake it. Now you know ... and knowing is half the battle.

3 Comments:

At 21 February, 2007 14:18, Blogger M. Jay Bennett said...

Stand back.

That's some sweet Burgundy!

 
At 23 February, 2007 10:04, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the slooge sheet!

 
At 07 December, 2008 08:39, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're a disgrace to us all, Mr. Burgundy! Ha Ha

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting