Tuesday, February 13, 2007

You know the Nazis had pieces of flair they made the Jews wear.

Recently I was at Barnes & Noble getting a book, a Christian book actually. My local Christian bookstores had let me down, but the heathen were able to hook me up.

While there I spent a little time looking around and remembered John Piper's comment last week: "All you need to open a book store is a coffee shop." It was a happenin' place.

Well, I thought I would investigate what kind of stuff the mainstream humans are interested in by way of scoping out what kinds of books were on display.

One thing in particular struck me ... there were stacks of books related to Adolph Hitler. There were even a few books dealing with the love life of Hitler (e.g., Hitler and Women: The Love Life of Adoph Hitler). I thought, what sicko would want to know about such a thing?!

There were books about how Hitler could have won World War II, which I can understand from the standpoint of a historian or a military strategist.

But I came away with an impression that there's a fascination with a man who was pretty wicked, particularly with regard to his treatment of the Jewish people.

Previously, I had expressed thoughts on the Holocaust and its link to the Enlightenment (cf. From Darwin to Hitler: Evolutionary Ethics, Eugenics, and Racism in Germany), but I found it disturbing that we could be so preoccupied with such a one as Hitler.

What does that say about the American public that there is such a fascination with evil?

1 Comments:

At 14 February, 2007 00:51, Blogger M. Jay Bennett said...

I think it says we're still fascinated by the prospect of being our own God. Hitler was evil, but he was also powerful. Deep down we respect power regardless of its ethic. In other words, we love sin.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting