Thursday, February 22, 2007

Man who catch fly with chopsticks accomplish anything.

Coming from the Cardinals (N.B. 9 of the 50 greatest wore the birds on the bat) and the National League, I see the Gold Glove as perhaps the most impressive award a baseball player can receive. It is awarded yearly to a player in each league (yes, even the spare DH-lovin' AL gets to play) who is regarded as the best defensively at his position.

Fans can vote on the All Time Gold Glover at each position and I encourage you to do so, especially if you know much about the history of the game. Far too many folks will merely pick names with which they are familiar, but do a little research first.

(* indicates Cardinals player; number in parenthesis indicates # of Gold Glove awards; ... indicates there could be more as this is an active player)

Some of these guys were absolutely phenomenal, men who could catch a fly with chopsticks!

My first team:
P – Bob Gibson* (9)
C – Ivan "Pudge" Rodriguez (12...)
1B - Keith Hernandez* (11) (and Mets)
2B - Brooks Robinson (16)
3B – Scott Rolen* (7...)
SS – Ozzie Smith* (13)
OF – Roberto Clemente (12)
OF – Willie Mays (12)
OF – Jim Edmonds* (8...)

My second team:
P - Greg Maddux
C - Johnny Bench
1B – Bill White* (7)
2B – Joe Morgan (5)
3B - Ken Boyer* (5)
SS - Omar Vizquel
OF – Curt Flood* (7)
OF - Carl Yastrzemski
OF - Ken Griffey, Jr.

I've worked hard to overcome a Cardinals bias, but my selections are guys who are, will be, or could be Hall of Famers.

I keep wavering between Keith Hernandez and Bill White. I actually went with Bill White on the ballot, but upon reconsideration, I've gone with Hernandez, though I hate to play him after he defected to The Mets.

What say you, fan of the great game? Who do you put on the diamond?

HT: Rev. for the discovery.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 24 February, 2007 13:21, Blogger Rev. said...

Our only differences were on the corners. You picked Rolen over Boyer (I can't forget my dad telling me all about watching the incredible feats of Boyer... pretty strong memories for me) and Keith "Magic Loogie" Hernandez over Bill White.

 
At 24 February, 2007 15:42, Blogger GUNNY said...

I'm particularly going with Rolen based on projections. I'm thinking if he can keep on keepin' on then he just may go down as one of the greatest, if not the greatest, at 3B of all time.

I hated going with Hernandez since he did defect to the evil Mets, but man, he was good. That's a toss up, in my mind.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting