Monday, February 26, 2007

I peg you as a "glass is half empty" kind of guy. Am I right?

Recently, I shared the fruit of my cogitation about the benefit of being a pessimist.

I thought this was worthwhile to share, another perspective on things.

Immediately I thought of Philippians 2:14. This really does reflect a half-empty mindset, but in wry sort of way.

The Pessimist by Benjamin Franklin King

Nothing to do but work,
Nothing to eat but food,
Nothing to wear but clothes
To keep one from going nude.

Nothing to breathe but air
Quick as a flash 't is gone;
Nowhere to fall but off,
Nowhere to stand but on.

Nothing to comb but hair,
Nowhere to sleep but in bed,
Nothing to weep but tears,
Nothing to bury but dead.

Nothing to sing but songs,
Ah, well, alas! alack!
Nowhere to go but out,
Nowhere to come but back.

Nothing to see but sights,
Nothing to quench but thirst,
Nothing to have but what we've got;
Thus thro' life we are cursed.

Nothing to strike but a gait;
Everything moves that goes.
Nothing at all but common sense
Can ever withstand these woes.

2 Comments:

At 26 February, 2007 18:16, Blogger Rev. said...

At least that Pessimist has hair to comb...

I'm an optimist...I'm positive that something bad is going to happen.

An individual inquired as to the pessimist's desire for a destination. The pessimist replied, "Somebody asked me today, 'If you could be anywhere in the world, where would you like to be?' And I said to him, 'Prob'ly right here - Elko, Nevada, our nation's high at 79 today.' Out in California, they're gonna have some warm weather. Tomorrow, gang wars, and some *very* overpriced real estate. Up in the Pacific Northwest, as you can see, they're gonna have some very, very tall trees."

 
At 18 March, 2007 21:11, Blogger GUNNY said...

Phil? Phil Connors? Phil Connors, I thought that was you!

Hey now, don't you tell me you don't remember me 'cause I sure as heckfire remember you.

Ned... Ryerson. "Needlenose Ned"? "Ned the Head"? C'mon, buddy. Case Western High. I did the whistling belly-button trick at the high school talent show? Bing. Ned Ryerson, got the shingles real bad senior year, almost didn't graduate? Bing, again. Ned Ryerson, I dated your sister Mary Pat a couple of times until you told me not to anymore? Well?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting