Tuesday, March 06, 2007

I would rather have had one breath of her hair, one kiss from her mouth, one touch of her hand, than eternity without it. One.

We got some very bad news today, a young lady who is a friend of our family passed away after a lengthy bout with Leukemia. Lydia was almost 8 years old.

Lydia was good friends with our oldest, Sarah, having been in her class in kindergarten. I got to know from going with the class on field trips, her going to VBS at our church, and spending the night and other times visiting. We also knew her through Upward! cheer leading.

I've admired her family's faith in God through this ordeal, even when it was first learned that her cancer had come back, having been in remission for years.

I can't imagine the hurt they are feeling, but I know we were all blessed to have spent some time with this sweet girl. She had an infectious smile.

She will be sorely missed, but I'm grateful for the time we had her. Our family prayers each night will shift from asking God to heal her of her cancer to asking God to help her family to deal with her passing. My prayer is that they would find their comfort in Christ and grow in greater reliance up Him.

Her family will never be the same, but they were blessed so much to have had even the short time with her. In spite of all the hospital visits, hospital bills, and anguish, they would prefer to have all that with her than to have never been blessed by God who gave her to them.

Naturally, such an event makes me realize how much each and every minute I have with my kids is a blessing from God.

None of us are guaranteed tomorrow. If you have been blessed, enjoy your kids today, while you have them, and praise the name of the God who gives, but sometimes takes away as well (cf. Job 1:21).

There will come a day when we who believe in Christ will dwell where there is no sorrow and there are no more tears. But, until that time we find in Christ our stability in the midst of an unstable world.

2 Comments:

At 07 March, 2007 00:02, Blogger M. Jay Bennett said...

I remember Lydia from VBS. I will be praying for her family. I cannot imagine the pain they must be suffering. May the God of all comfort be comfort to them.

 
At 07 March, 2007 17:19, Blogger Rev. said...

Prayed for Lydia's family. Can't imagine the pain and grief they are experiencing. May the Lord comfort them.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting