Monday, April 23, 2007

With great power comes great responsibility. This is my gift and my curse.

Brent has posted some (possible) spiritual benefits of blogging.
"One of the benefits of blogging for me has been an increased awareness and appreciation of viewpoints I might otherwise have little exposure to."

They're worth a look and I hope to be part of the solution and not the problem, part of the benefit and not the detriment.

Like Brent, I hope to use my powers for good, not for evil. Or else, as he frequently says, "The terrorists have already won."

With great power comes great responsibility. This is my gift and my curse.

Blogito ergo sum. I blog, therefore, I am.

What say you? What are the pros and cons of blogging? There is the trial by public/popular opinion that seems to go hand in hand with any spare getting a blog, perhaps making a weak point loudly.

What, if any (potential) spiritual benefits do you derive from reading, writing, and/or commenting on blogs?

2 Comments:

At 23 April, 2007 21:11, Blogger Rev. said...

"To say what you won't, to do what you can't, to remove those in your way."

I've tried to be careful on my blog in dealing with issues and personalities. I had pointed out some wackiness, but then pulled those posts. I pointed out some disagreements between brothers, specifically, but pulled those. I came under conviction for such. I post things that not everybody will agree with, but I'm not trying to tear anybody down with my blog. I've largely avoided the SBC with all of its messes because of that very thing. I want my blog to be used for teaching other Christians in the areas of theology and Church history, as well as dealing with current and vital issues. I want to read others with those same views in mind.

 
At 24 April, 2007 01:19, Blogger GUNNY said...

It would be so easy to fire off pot shots from the blogging gun, and it's pretty rampant in some circles, but I think you're hitting the nail on the head.

I think part of the beauty of a blog is to help each other interact and view the world with a view toward God's desire for us to positively impact the world and those in it. That means we need to know, ineract with, and engage the culture, hopefully impacting it more than it does us.

What does it mean to be a Christian in 2007 on this planet? I find some blogs helpful in that arena, others less so. ; )

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting