Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Get that lumber in his teeth. Let 'em know you're there!

Tonight the NHL playoffs begin, the "Second Season."

We'll see just how far they can go toward bringing Lord Stanley's cup back to Dallas, but they've had some disappointing playoff experiences as of late.

I sure wouldn't mind seeing THIS again.

Wouldn't it be sweet to see the most prolific US born NHL player, Mike Modano, hoisting THE Cup above his head? I'm in.

"By the age of 18, the average American has witnessed 200,000 acts of violence on television, most of them occurring during Game 1 of the NHL playoff series."
-Steve Rushin

Game 1: The Dallas Stars face off in Vacouver against the Canucks of Canada. G'Day, mate!

Some more hockey related quotes to get you motivated ...

Bobby Clarke: "We take the shortest route to the puck and arrive in ill humor."

Jim McKenny: "Half the game is mental; the other half is being mental."

Jacques Plante: "How would you like a job where, every time you make a mistake, a big red light goes on and 18,000 people boo?"

Brett Hull: "I'm not dumb enough to be a goalie."

Doug Larson: "Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

Wayne Gretzky: "You miss 100% of the shots you never take."

Gordie Howe: "American professional athletes are bilingual; they speak English and profanity."

Jim Murray: "Hockey is murder on ice."

Barclay Plager: "It's not who wins the fight that's important, it's being willing to fight. If you get challenged and renege, everyone wants to take a shot at you."

Unknown: "Street hockey is great for kids. It's energetic, competitive, and skilful. And best of all it keeps them off the street."

Rodney Dangerfield: "I went to a fight the other night and a hockey game broke out."

Paul Coffey: "When we've got the puck, they can't score."

Brad Park: "We get nose jobs all the time in the NHL, and we don't even have to go to the hospital."

Milan Gajic: "I honestly believe some would have given up their left leg to stop a shot in the third period."

Ken Dryden: "There are two types of forwards. Scorers and bangers. Scorers score and bangers bang."

Stu Grimson, Chicago Blackhawks left wing, explaining why he keeps a color photo of himself above his locker: "That's so when I forget how to spell my name, I can still find my (expletive) clothes."

Al Michaels, describing Americans' knowledge of hockey prior to the "Miracle on Ice": "People didn't know the difference between a blue line and a clothes line."

Jimmy Cannon: "A puck is a hard rubber disc that hockey players strike when they can't hit one another."
---
This is the time of year where I really miss Derrian Hatcher and I'm still tender the Stars let him go. But somebody needs to step up, to get that lumber in his teeth. C'mon, Stars, let 'em know you're there!

Go Stars!

P.S. What a way to start the playoffs ... losing with just a few minutes left in the FOURTH 20 minute overtime period. I LOVE overtime playoff hockey, but that was a brutal loss tonight/this morning.

"The Stars have lost five straight playoff overtime games."

I'd say they're due!

Labels:

10 Comments:

At 11 April, 2007 20:16, Blogger Reepicheep said...

NO GOAL! That's all I have to say about their cup "victory" against the Sabres...

 
At 12 April, 2007 08:45, Blogger Lance said...

It's 8:45, Thursday morning.
Has game one ended yet?

 
At 12 April, 2007 09:10, Blogger Rev. said...

Another OT L, this time 4OT.

 
At 12 April, 2007 11:21, Blogger Reepicheep said...

I am impressed that Texans have any appreciation for Hockey...still- NO GOAL!

 
At 12 April, 2007 11:58, Blogger GUNNY said...

All I know is that I saw Brett Hull smoking a big cigar and wearing champagne.

I saw Buffalo no longer rattling their Sabres, but rather crying like teenage girls.

: )

Hey, controversy is part of the bit.

Even Tip last night was all tender that they scored the goal with an extra guy on the ice.

"Naslund broke the tie after jumping off the bench and onto a turnover inside the Dallas blue line, skating in alone and snapping a shot through Turco's legs. Dallas coach Dave Tippett was incensed as replays showed Naslund came on for Trevor Linden, who was still on the ice a few feet from the bench."

Hey, the Stars peaked (and peaked our interest) at the right time in Dallas. They were hot and the Cowboys, Mavericks, and Rangers were wallowing in mediocrity.

My interest has waned some over the past few years since Tip has only won one playoff series, but I still put on the foil for the playoffs.

Glad to hear Yankees up in Kansas have an appreciation for hockey. ; )

 
At 12 April, 2007 17:32, Blogger etoc said...

ahhh...the playoffs! I will claim credit for converting you on this one as well Mr. Hartman (sorry you couldn't appreciate the Labatt's Blue...though you did seem to like the Sam Adams Cherry Wheat!).

Up here in Hockeytown, we're preparing for the start of the season (what is this strange 2nd season that you mention?) as we've been in training camp for the last seven months. We've been doing that for 16 consecutive years.

And, as for the prolific Mike Modano (born Westland, Michigan) and Derrian Hatcher (born Sterling Heights, Michigan) they should have both STAYED IN MICHIGAN. The Red Wings have won 10 Stanley Cups--more than any other American Team--with three in the last decade. Native sons that went alien, er... Texan (can anything good come from Texas!?). If you need any further trash-talk (though it's not as fulfilling as chest-thumping in the family room over beers, feel free to catch some of the "Spirit of Detroit" at http://outofmymind-etocspace.blogspot.com/

 
At 12 April, 2007 17:49, Blogger GUNNY said...

Ah ... tis true.

Prior to the Glaucoma Dog, I was in the rank & file who ignorantly thought hockey dumb.

It helped that CJC was a fan of the hated Red Wings. Once you understand the game, it's pretty good, especially in the playoffs. There's nothing like playoff hockey and I will always remember those Stanley Cup Final games in '99 and 2000. Talk about intensity. Watching playoff games won or lost in OT (or 4th OT) is as intense as playing many sports.

My repentance was complete in those mid to late 90s playoffs.

I'm still tender that the Stars lost the Western Conference Finals in '98, which is, of course, why I always wanted Lanche in the Finals instead. We matched up much better against them.

I forgot that my boys actually hailed from Michigan. Hicks should have knawed his arm off to keep Hatcher. As soon as someone gave my boy a Hatcher signed mini hockey stick, I knew he was gone.

That's why I won't get any current player's name on the back of my Stars jersey!

I'm worried about the lads, particularly in the net. They should not have let Eddie go. Marty is good, but I'm concerned about his playoff success, kind of like the situation Detroit had with Osgood.

I was feeling pretty good about it all, but that game last night realy took the wind out of my sails. I'm hoping it didn't do the same for the Stars, especially not for Marty, whom I would love to see prove everyone wrong!

 
At 12 April, 2007 20:39, Blogger Reepicheep said...

Did I mention "No Goal"?

 
At 12 April, 2007 23:45, Blogger GUNNY said...

I *almost* get the impression you're thinking that Brett Hull's goal to win the Stanley Cup for Dallas in '99 was illegitimate.

Is that what you're *hinting* at?

(wink, wink, nudge, nudge, say no more)

 
At 14 April, 2007 00:32, Blogger GUNNY said...

Well, taking the #3 seed to a 4th OT and then shutting them out on their own ice, taking a 1-1 split back to Dallas.

I'm more optimistic that I was. Or, perhaps I have knee-jerkism pretty bad right now.

Still, getting a split on the road against a higher seed ... all in all, what's not to like.

BUT ... oh how great to be up 2-0. Just gotta take care of business at home now.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting