Friday, November 12, 2010

When I was your age, television was called, "books."

Providence Church deacon & youth director, Cody Dixon, has started a reading club of sorts and asked the elders for an "approved" reading list from which to choose. Each month, the plan is to read the book and gather to discuss it.

The following 13 made the list, but I'm open to suggestion as to what would be good for a church reading group.
  1. Hannah, John. Kregel Pictorial Guide to Church History
  2. Harris, Joshua. Stop Dating the Church: Fall in Love with the Family of God
  3. Horton, Michael. Putting Amazing Back into Grace
  4. Luther, Martin. The Bondage of the Will
  5. MacArthur, John. The Truth War: Fighting for Certainty in an Age of Deception
  6. MacArthur, John. Twelve Ordinary Men: How the Master Shaped His Disciples for Greatness, and What He Wants to Do with You
  7. Metzger, Will. Tell the Truth: The Whole Gospel to the Whole Person by Whole People
  8. Pink, Arthur. The Sovereignty of God
  9. Piper, John. The Pleasures of God: Meditations on God's Delight in Being God
  10. Roberts, Vaughan. God's Big Picture
  11. Sproul, R.C. Chosen by God
  12. Sproul, R.C. Holiness of God
  13. Tripp, Tedd. Shepherding a Child's Heart

P.S. Others I'd recommend based on prior Sunday school usage:
  1. Alcorn, Randy. The Treasure Principle
  2. Atteberry, Mark. The 10 Dumbest Things Christians Do
  3. Dever, Mark. Nine Marks of a Healthy Church
  4. Packer, J.I. Knowing God
  5. Piper, John. Desiring God
  6. Piper, John. Future Grace
  7. Thomas, Gary. Sacred Marriage: What If God Intended Marriage to Make Us Holy More than to Make Us Happy?

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 12 November, 2010 07:55, Blogger Matthew Bradley said...

Gunny!

You MUST add Kevin DeYoung's Just Do Something to the list. This is a book that most can read in a sitting or two. I've been recommending it to the adults I minister to and they are all asking, "Where has this been all my life?!"

It's a straightforward, reformed approach to the issue of discovering the will of God. It uses the categories of revealed will and secret will and discusses how to appropriately seek His revealed will. Good stuff and incredibly pertinent to life at all stages.

By the way - I don't write often, but I'm always reading. I hope you're doing well and that you at least occasionally find good fellowship at Gingerman!

 
At 12 November, 2010 12:27, Anonymous Lance said...

Princess Bride

 
At 12 November, 2010 16:03, Blogger Audrey said...

1. Young, William P, The Shack
2. Osteen, Joel, Your Best Life Now
3. Anything by Rob Bell or Brian MacLaren

JUST KIDDING! I praise God that He led me and my family to a church that takes the spiritual edification of its congregation so seriously! I look forward to reading any and all of these.

 
At 12 November, 2010 23:46, Blogger GUNNY said...

Matt,

Since the PCA absconded and disbursed Jay the Bennett and Matthew Bradley, I have been seriously and heinously Gingerman deprived. Be sure to throw me a bone if ever you're back in the Dallas area, brother.

I'll put Just Do Something on my wishlist. That's a huge topic of conversation and a practical one that is often severely misunderstood (no offense to your boy Blackaby).

Audrey, you had me nervous for a moment there! I was thinking, "Well, that's not OUR Audrey!"

;-)

At least you didn't add The Prayer of Jabez to your list!

We should have a lot of fun going through our list. The current plan is to read the books and then come together for discussion after the Pot Providence fellowship meal the first Sunday of each month.

 
At 18 November, 2010 15:49, Blogger Oilcan said...

Tommy Nelson, The Big Picture: Understanding the Story of the Bible

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting