Friday, October 15, 2010

I don't shut up, I grow up, and when I look at you, I throw up.

"John Quincy Adams was an ambassador by the age of fourteen. Today we consider men adolescents for whom living at home and being taken care of by their parents is acceptable well into their twenties. Men used to marry in their teens; now they wonder if they are ready in their thirties. We have an epidemic of immature men in our culture. We are simply taking too long to turn boys into men. Our forefathers may have died younger, but they lived longer in the process."
~ Voddie Baucham, Jr, What He Must Be ... if he wants to marry my daughter, 203. (emphasis mine)
Part of the problem is a lack of intentionality on training boys to become men. Let's try to make some more of them.

Part of the problem is a lack of quality roles models for men. So, we ask ...

cf. Voddie's characteristics of an eligible man.

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

At 01 November, 2010 15:43, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gunny, the two guarantees in economics are “people follow incentives,” and “if you tax something, you get less of it; if you subsidize something, you get more of it.” The way American society is currently structured, American men pay a “tax” for being men. Examples:

No fault divorce plus alimony: If I found a recent videotape of my wife performing oral sex on the entire Dallas Cowboys football team, it would not affect her ability (“no fault”) to file for divorce and get custody of the children, child support, half the community property, and (if in an alimony State), up to 40% of my income for an indeterminate period.

Presumptive patrimony plus increasing levels of infidelity among women: If I learned, through genetic testing, that my children were not mine, I’d still be legally liable for child support.

For other examples, look up incarceration rates for men vs. women, the “mancession,” female vs. male college graduation rates, and the continued existence of affirmative action.

Quite honestly Gunny, you can tut-tut all you want, but American society the way it’s currently constructed offers little or nothing for men. I actively encourage my sons and my younger male co-workers to avoid marriage at all costs and would have never gotten married myself if I’d known what it would be like. If that leads to the downfall of American society, then that’s justice.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting