Tuesday, September 21, 2010

And if I find that you are trying to corrupt my firstborn child, I will bring you down, baby. I will bring you down to Chinatown.

I'm reading What He Must Be ... if he wants to marry my daughter, by Voddie Baucham, Jr.

Among other gems, he lists (and elaborates upon) some things that must characterize any potential suitor..

1. He must be a follower of Christ.

2. He must be prepared to lead.

3. He must lead like Christ.

4. He must be committed to children.

5. He must practice the four P's.
"Whatever words we choose to use, it is clear that a young man must be ready to represent his family before God (as a priest), represent God before his family (as a prophet), meet the needs of those in his household (as a provider), and place himself between his family and all who would do them harm (as a protector)."

Apart from omitting sports teams allegiances, it's a pretty good list and a book I heartily recommend, particularly to those entrusted with the development of boys.

There's a drought of young men suitable for marriage and my heartaches for the young ladies who are much more ready for life than the lads who delay adulthood to stay in "Guyland" into their 30s or 40s.

Sadly, women are stuck with such a poor pool from which to choose, being limited to wimps or barbarians, none of which understand nor care to understand what it takes to love another human, particularly making sacrifices for her benefit.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At 21 September, 2010 09:58, Blogger Unknown said...

This is but another symptom of the loss of “Honor” in our society. A generation ago a son was considered a “chip off the old block”… a product, and the pride, of his father’s nurturing care as he grew into manhood. Contrast that with the epidemic of fatherless families we now have today, and the abandonment of training of our sons to the “Atheist School Systems”, and this is what you get… an entire generation of adolescent 20, 30, and even 40 year old punks that know nothing of honor, love, and sacrifice.

Just this last Sunday a young lady asks me “Where can I go to meet Christian men my age?” The only thing I could tell her was “Church”… But, sadly we don’t have any available young men in their 20’s in our church, and I suspect there are not many in other churches as well.

Grace Always,

 
At 22 September, 2010 20:29, Blogger Jade said...

Speaking of sports allegiance, he must be a Yankee fan! ;ob Only kidding....

 
At 27 September, 2010 22:37, Blogger Reepicheep said...

Right on Jade!!!

 
At 01 November, 2010 15:42, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gunny, the two guarantees in economics are “people follow incentives,” and “if you tax something, you get less of it; if you subsidize something, you get more of it.” The way American society is currently structured, American men pay a “tax” for being men. Examples:

No fault divorce plus alimony: If I found a recent videotape of my wife performing oral sex on the entire Dallas Cowboys football team, it would not affect her ability (“no fault”) to file for divorce and get custody of the children, child support, half the community property, and (if in an alimony State), up to 40% of my income for an indeterminate period.

Presumptive patrimony plus increasing levels of infidelity among women: If I learned, through genetic testing, that my children were not mine, I’d still be legally liable for child support.

For other examples, look up incarceration rates for men vs. women, the “mancession,” female vs. male college graduation rates, and the continued existence of affirmative action.

Quite honestly Gunny, you can tut-tut all you want, but American society the way it’s currently constructed offers little or nothing for men. I actively encourage my sons and my younger male co-workers to avoid marriage at all costs and would have never gotten married myself if I’d known what it would be like. If that leads to the downfall of American society, then that’s justice.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting