Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Why don't you make like a tree and get out of here.

As we recently planted 6 more baby trees in our yard to balance the adults and the adolescents, I was thinking about trees.

I drove by our old house and looked at the trees we planted 8 years ago. I drove by our older old house and looked at the trees we planted 12 years ago.

Wow, like spirituality, you don't really notice growth on a day to day basis, but inspect again after a few years and you might be surprised.

I've got a little black book with my poems in ... here's one for your edification.

Trees

I think that I shall never see
A poem lovely as a tree.

A tree whose hungry mouth is prest
Against the sweet earth's flowing breast;

A tree that looks at God all day,
And lifts her leafy arms to pray;

A tree that may in summer wear
A nest of robins in her hair;

Upon whose bosom snow has lain;
Who intimately lives with rain.

Poems are made by fools like me,
But only God can make a tree.

-Sgt. Alfred Joyce Kilmer (1886-1918),
KIA at the Second Battle of Marne

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 20 May, 2008 09:31, Blogger samurai said...

Well done...

 
At 20 May, 2008 13:29, Blogger Oilcan said...

Back to the Future

That is a good poem.

I am concerned - of the four trees planted at my house, three are dead (not including dead Christmas tree in the backyard). I hope there is no spiritual significance to the dead trees, but gazing upon the dead tree, I cannot help but think of Jesus' teaching on the bad tree which bore no fruit being cut down and burned - why encumbereth the ground? So, the dead tree in my yard is a good reminder to persevere in sanctification. Sadly, my HOA doesn't care about that and wants it replaced.

I can plant a tree, but only God can make it grow.

 
At 20 May, 2008 22:44, Anonymous Anonymous said...

dangit...Oilcan beat me to it. Biff's great line!!

Tell your mom hi for me.

 
At 20 May, 2008 22:52, Blogger GUNNY said...

Biff always had a way with words, didn't he.

Speaking of moms ... your mom goes to college.

How's *that* for a great line?

 
At 21 May, 2008 00:01, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanksf or this post.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting