Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Last time I looked in the dictionary, my name's Ron Burgundy. What's your name?

Brent Thomas has posted about church names and it got me to thinking of church names to avoid.

I'm curious as to what you've seen as well. What are some weird or hokey or confusing church names?

I would avoid the following church names:
  • Freewill Baptist Church
  • Free Love Baptist Church (never actually seen this one)
  • Ebenezer Baptist Church
  • Buelah Land Baptist Church

I would also suggest avoiding the word "Temple" in the name.

Sometimes church names are just funny and/or ironic. Remember Calvin Freewill Baptist Church? (HT Matthew Bradley)

It seems to be popular to put "Community" in the name and I can understand putting locational aspects in the name, but I tend to think of these things from a pastoral perspective. For example, I think it's cool to have some Latin in the name, but I know I'm in the minority.

I'm curious as to what other pastors think about church names, but also what does the common (wo)man think about church names?
  • Is it important to have the denomination identified in the name?
  • Is "Fellowship" preferred to "Church"?
  • Are there benefits to changing a church's name? Like what?
  • How trendy is too much with names?
  • What's the best church name you've come across? the worst?
  • If you could rename your present church, what would it be?

(cf. The significance behind "Providence Church.")

12 Comments:

At 14 May, 2008 18:48, Blogger etoc said...

I'll bite. I love churches that say something about who they are and what they're about. Watermark in Dalls, for example, connoting quality, authenticity, & transparency. Mars Hill, Solomon's Porch, Mosaic, Elevation, Imago Dei, Ekklesia...and the ever popular Scum of the Earth.

 
At 14 May, 2008 20:08, Blogger Marc Backes said...

I think Eternity is probably the greatest name a church planter could ever come up with...

I may be biased...

 
At 14 May, 2008 22:01, Blogger GUNNY said...

Watermark? They always motivated me to sail away, due to Orinoco Flow.

But, I do agree I like a name that has some originality and communicates a little something.

Eternity? Daddy like.

Given my druthers, Providence Church would have been "Church of the Eternal King," but I was savagely outnumbered.

Incidentally, etoc, watch any hockey tonight?

;-)

 
At 14 May, 2008 22:08, Blogger Unknown said...

I couldn't stand "Freewill Baptist Churches." Really can you not think of something more Biblically profound? That's your big theological push? come to find out it's a specific type of Baptist.. still bad church name.

 
At 14 May, 2008 22:09, Blogger Matthew Bradley said...

I've always thought Beth Haven Baptist Church was a bit funny. I mean c'mon..."House of Emptiness"?

 
At 14 May, 2008 22:11, Blogger Rev. said...

Here are some church names....

http://www.geocities.com/changes1611/
humorouschurchnames3.html

 
At 15 May, 2008 15:04, Blogger mi familia said...

Since I am a former member of Brent Thomas church I have to say that Grace Community Church is my favorite. Because it is by God's grace that we are saved...Actually it is by His grace that we are anything.

The second word, community, accurately describes what the body of believers in a congregation are to look like; a group of people actively engaging in one anothers lives.

The best reason is its the name of MacArthur's church! :)

 
At 15 May, 2008 15:48, Blogger not used anymore. said...

There is a "Freewill Baptist Church" here in San Antonio. They held Russell's Pinewood Derby Car Workshop there.

Personally I like the word church as opposed to "community" or "fellowship." Community seems to have more opportunity for extreme cultists.

Me, I like to hear the name of the denomination in the name of the church. It helps me to have a better idea of what kind of beliefs that person has been exposed to.

 
At 15 May, 2008 16:12, Blogger not used anymore. said...

For me, the word "king" in there gives me a "Catholic" vibe.

the word "Christian" in the church name makes me a little sceptical. Jehova's Witness' walk right up to your door and introduce themselves as such.

"First United Methodist Church of ...." beats me down.

The word "temple" makes me nervous too.

"church of the ..." sounds like a bunch of weirdos.

I loved the funny church name website that Rev. put up, my favorite one:

Croom-A-Coochee Baptist
Webster, FL

I've only been to a handful of churches in my life and only a member of one.

We do have a "Feed My Sheep" something or anogclose to our house, I have always smiled when I see the name.

Aah..
Feed My Sheep Early Learning
www.nccfonline.org

12525 Nacogdoches Rd # 107
San Antonio, TX 78217
(210) 646-7998

 
At 15 May, 2008 17:05, Blogger GUNNY said...

Kelly sent me this picture.

Pretty good bull, I must say!

 
At 18 May, 2008 17:12, Blogger Mark Ritchie said...

What about the ones that seem to have been renamed to honor a former pastor or someone?

In the Dallas area we have Scofield Memorial Church, for example.

To me the funniest church name is "Broadway Church of Christ" in Lubbock. One would think that certain names would raise red flags.

 
At 19 May, 2008 08:37, Blogger Michelle Kearney said...

This is not a church name, but this weekend I saw the following on a large banner on a church building...

"NEW...30 minute services!"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting