Wednesday, April 30, 2008

There is no certainty, only opportunity.

Apologies to the non-sports fans, but it's time for a playoffs update.

NBA ...

The Suns & Mavericks made big trades to try to give themselves a shot in the arm gearing up for the playoffs. Both were bounced last night in 5 games. Neither adding Shaq nor Jason Kidd got them over the hump.

It's easy to fall from grace. The Mavericks were up 2-0 on Miami in the NBA Finals in 2006 and had a meltdown in Game 3, which started a 3-12 run in the playoffs, even after winning a historic 67 games in 2007.

Conversely, the Mighty Lakers had Kobe and seemingly nothing else just a year ago and now the #1 seed in the greatest field the West has assembled has swept its way to the 2nd round. They handily beat the Nuggets, a team with the #3 and #4 scorers in the league.

I'm still thinking Lakers vs. Celtics in the NBA Finals, but I feel much more confident about the Lakers chances in that now. I think they can handle the winner of Houston & Utah, but will struggle mightily against the Spurs, whom I think can handle the Hornets.


NHL ...

The Stars have been underachieving in the eyes of many for quite a few years, having severe difficulty making it out of the 1st round.

They handled the defending champs (Ducks) with relative ease in the 1st round and are now up 3-0 on the Sharks, with a juicy chance to sweep at home tonight.

I'm sticking by my prediction of a Stars vs. Wings Western Conference Finals.

Detroit is also up 3-0, though Game 4 is a road game for them. I think it's less likely that Wing will beat Lanche in Colorado in Game 4. I'm thinking 4-1 Wing, which should give Dallas an extra 3 days rest, which they'll need going on the road for Game 1 at The Joe.


NFL ...

The Cowboys went 13-3 in the regular season and secured the #1 seed, which meant home field advantage throughout the playoffs and a 1st round bye. They were favorites to be in the Superbowl, but they were "one and done."


Whether it be a #1 seed like the Cowboys or the 2007 Mavericks or a blockbuster trade for Jason Kidd or Shaq, we've learned that there is no certainty, only opportunity. Sometimes lesser teams make more of their opportunities and consequently achieve more.

10 Comments:

At 30 April, 2008 16:18, Blogger Rev. said...

GO SPURS GO!

I think the Cowboys are going to great this upcoming season... at least until December. Doh!

 
At 30 April, 2008 16:44, Blogger GUNNY said...

Yeah, I don't have time to check the Cowboys' record the past few years in December and the playoffs, but I'm confident it's a losing record.

It's like there's a Thanksgiving hangover where they can't get the turkey out of their systems.

Spurs ... I don't think even Spurs fans expected them to deal as easily as they did with the Suns. Sure, there were a few close ones, but still.

I always enjoy Spurs vs. Lakers and look forward to another edition this year.

Of course, I'll be rooting for the purple & gold, dontcha know.

 
At 30 April, 2008 22:47, Blogger Ched said...

I think they can handle the winner of Houston & Utah

Arrggh.

 
At 30 April, 2008 23:26, Blogger GUNNY said...

Obviously, as a fan of the Mighty Lakers, I'd like to see this series go 7 games.

That means I'm expecting a "W" from Houston in Utah to force a Game 7 back in Planet Houston.

 
At 01 May, 2008 00:12, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're smokin' crack. The Fakers will NOT be in the finals. Mark my words.

GO SPURS GO! :)

 
At 01 May, 2008 00:50, Blogger GUNNY said...

Shock value!

ATTENTION: Hater in the house ...

Well, let's just say that's gonna come back to haunt you.

2008 ... this is the year. I can feel it.

Stars win the Stanley Cup.

The Mighty Lakers win the NBA Championship.

The Cardinals win the World Series.

Now, if the Cowboys could have just kept their end of the bargain.

Grrr.

Incidentally, anyone catch President Bush's hot sports opinion when the Giants visited the White House?

He addressed their victory in Dallas and, after a pregnant pause, said, "We're gonna send Jessica Simpson to the Democratic National Convention."

 
At 01 May, 2008 09:18, Blogger Timothy said...

Hi Gunny,
I don't know if you know my blog well enough, but I've stayed away from sports a lot this year. For some reason, I'm hoping for spiritual ones, it has simply lost its glow, especially baseball. I did some stuff on the Master's, but not much else outside of March Madness. Not sure why, but since I've taken up a sport, golf, the rest just seem boring to me.

I do look forward to college football again.
Blessings

 
At 01 May, 2008 09:33, Blogger GUNNY said...

Prudence dictates we try to avoid becoming a sports blog and I also try to minimize that aspect of the blog, though I'm still an avid sports fan.

Oddly enough, golf has never done anything for me. However, I do root for Tiger to win all the tournaments.

 
At 01 May, 2008 13:41, Blogger Sean Crowe said...

Sniffle, sniffle, sniffle...Let me just compose myself before I comment...OK, I have pulled myself out of the corner,and I will try not to break down. I know, I must come to terms with the fact that yet again, you Americans will be holding our cup for us for one more year, but make no mistake, we will be back for it next year. All that being said, if any American team has to have the cup I guess it might as well be Dallas. Sniffle, sniffle, sniffle...I told myself I wouldn't do this...sniffle, sniffle, Go Dallas, sniffle, sniffle, sniffle...Can someone get me a tissue...

 
At 06 May, 2008 12:01, Blogger GUNNY said...

Lance mentioned to me today the many warning signs that this may be on its way to becoming a "sports blog."

Topping that list is the playoff standings in the sidebar and exchanging the bow tie profile pic for a Stars jersey.

Uh ... oh ... it's worse than I thought.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting