Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Truth hurts. Maybe not as much as jumping on a bicycle with a seat missing, but it hurts.

I'm sitting in the airport last night in St. Louis talking with a fellow Cardinals fan and the discussion turns to what I do in Texas.

He then wants to engage in a theological conversation, where his assertion is that religions are all the same, they just have a few different points of doctrine.

Of course, I had to object. No, I had to strenuously object.

It doesn't surprise me to hear such from the "man on the street," but twice now I've heard this type of thing from one in whom it is inexcusable.

If it happens once, perhaps you could say it's a fluke. A second time, it is what it is.

President Bush has (again, cf. 2003) said that all religions worship the same deity.
Well, first of all, I believe in an almighty God, and I believe that all the world, whether they be Muslim, Christian, or any other religion, prays to the same God. That's what I believe. I believe that Islam is a great religion that preaches peace.

I have to echo the sentiment of Richard Land after the 2003 incident:
"Like many other Americans I applaud the president as a man of deep religious faith who attempts to bring that faith conviction to bear on public policy issues," Land told Baptist Press. "However, we should always remember that he is Commander-in-Chief, not theologian-in-chief. And when he says that he believes that Muslims and Christians worship the same God, he is simply mistaken."

Scripture "is clear" on the issue, Land added.

"There is one God and His name is Jehovah and His only begotten Son is Jesus Christ of the seed of Abraham and Isaac, whose mother was the Jewess virgin, Mary. Jesus our Savior has made it clear that we must know His Father through faith in Him and Him alone."

I know Christ's exclusivity is a truth that hurts, but falsehood hurts even more, having eternal consequences.

Although President Bush professes to be a Christian, his theology is inherently un-Christian and that should be huge cause for concern. I'm not a hater by any stretch of the imagination, but I hate the lie he believes and is propagating.

John Calvin wrote:
"A dog barks when his master is attacked. I would be a coward if I saw that God's truth is attacked and yet would remain silent."

Something greater than freedom has been attacked. God's truth/Truth has been attacked and this aggression will not stand.

"I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." -Jesus, John 14:6

7 Comments:

At 09 October, 2007 14:26, Blogger samurai said...

An excellent point...

I have been guilty far too often of not saying anything when God's word is afronted. And I consider myself a samurai in His service.... :(

 
At 09 October, 2007 17:09, Blogger Jade said...

I once took a theology course at my secular university (topic - Psalms and the NT). It was taught by this 90+ Jewish Theologian. On the first day of class he noted that he's been reading the NT for over 20 years and that there was something in the teachings of Jesus that he can't quite let go. He found Jesus to be a profound man and unlike any other prophet he has read about. When I heard that I thought this professor was so close to being saved! It was quite a heated course because I went to a school that was predominantly jewish and there was an actual zionist in my class that fought against us Christians (the few that they were). One of the essays I wrote (and I can't for the life of me remember what that topic was about!) I quoted Jesus' words, "Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." My professor underline those words in red ink and commented, "Do you honestly believe that"? I took that question as an invitation to his office. :o) We had a long discussion on the topic. He understood full well that meant exclusion of all other faiths (unlike our president!) and that was one thing he could not accept this teaching from Christ. It broke my heart to see him not accept the truth. He tried to be faithful to the word; even when the zionist argued that Isaiah 53 was speaking of Israel, the professor refuted it stating that Isaiah 53 refers to a male gender while Israel was always referred to as a female gender. He was 90+ years old and close to death; I often wonder where he is now. As the Scriptures say, Jesus is the Chief corner stone that the builders rejected.

Hey if anyone is ever looking for an opportunity to evangelize, I challenge you to take a theology course at a secular university. Talk about spiritual warfare!

 
At 10 October, 2007 14:55, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gunny-

Please link your titles to the movie from which they come. I feel like I recognize so many of them, but can't quite place the all the time.
I read the dog quote before from one Martin Luther. Are you certain of its origins?
You left the virtual audience hanging about the gay Cards fan in the airport. What happened with that guy?

Bobo

 
At 10 October, 2007 16:29, Blogger GUNNY said...

Herr Bobo,

You're supposed to guess the movie and post it in the comments sections.

Where's the fun in me telling you?

However, I do have all quoted movies listed in the Ethos post.

I'll give you this first one for free: Naked Gun 2 1/2

The heterosexual Cardinals fan was at least willing to acknowledge some very real distinctions among religious beliefs (chief being Christ's exclusivity).

He came away (it seems to me) thinking Christianity is a bit different, but not necessarily a bit better.

Are you sure about the Luther reference? I've never seen it, though it's very Luther-like. I've only seen it attributed to Calvin.

I cited it before back in the day and would have to do some searching to find its source.

 
At 10 October, 2007 17:21, Blogger Rev. said...

I'm sure that you handled this situation maturely, like the responsible adult you are, and didn't resort to calling him Mr. Poopy Pants.

 
At 10 October, 2007 19:00, Blogger GUNNY said...

Of course, but only after the prerequisite dose of "I know you are, but what am I?"

 
At 12 October, 2007 17:04, Blogger Lionel Woods said...

I argued that Bush was a believer with my good friend Tyris, I have to recant or be burned at the stake!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting