Friday, October 05, 2007

Life all comes down to a few moments. This is one of them.

Today is the 304th birthday of Jonathan Edwards. (HT Jay the Bennett, who has some good slooge about his "homeboy")

I just wanted to share one of my favorite Edwards bits. His recollection of his conversion, upon meditation of 1 Timothy 1:17. (In the past, I've also shared his "resolutions.")
The first instance, that I remember, of that sort of inward, sweet delight in God and divine things, that I have lived much in since, was on reading those words, 1 Tim 1:17. Now unto the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only wise God, be honor and glory for ever and ever. Amen. As I read the words, there came into my soul, and was as it were diffused through it, a sense of the glory of the Divine Being; a new sense, quite different from any thing I ever experienced before. Never any words of Scripture seemed to me as these words did. I thought with myself, how excellent a Being that was, and how happy I should be, if I might enjoy that God, and be rapt up to him in heaven; and be it as it were swallowed up in him for ever! I kept saying, and as it were singing, over these words of Scripture to myself; and went to pray to God that I might enjoy him; and prayed in a manner quite different from what I used to do; with a new sort of affection. But it never came into my thought, that there was any thing spiritual, or of a saving nature, in this.

Of course, per Edwards conversion entails a change in the affections and I always find myself inspired by the affection Edwards had for our Master.

5 Comments:

At 03 October, 2007 19:16, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Edwards was indeed a spiritual stud, but it was his wife that won me over. Sarah was in every way a woman of the Word and a godly wife to hold up to our yound women. Good stuff.

BTW: your new pic is causing me to stumble. That shirt is hideous. I want to look away, but its so appalling that I can't. Go back to the ATM cag.

 
At 03 October, 2007 19:25, Blogger GUNNY said...

Knowing your loyalty to your countrymen (Viva la France!), I can understand how unnerved you'd be by the colors of Deutschland.

To prefer the greatness of the Aggie colors speaks volumes.

Yet, we must honor the Frauleins who have won back to back World Cup titles!

Oh ... yeah, that Sarah Edwards was a studette of the highest order. I loved Marriage to a Difficult Man.

Of course, I did name my first born after her as well.

 
At 04 October, 2007 17:36, Blogger Rev. said...

That dude is soooooo old! ;)

I've used that quote several times in writings, etc. It is a great one.

 
At 05 October, 2007 10:48, Blogger samurai said...

How can we not be inspired by some one some who's affections are fixated upon our Heavenly Father. Like two matches drawn together produce an even larger flame...

 
At 06 October, 2007 10:18, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gunny wrote:
Oh ... yeah, that Sarah Edwards was a studette of the highest order. I loved Marriage to a Difficult Man.
Ah, but why did she title her book that way?! Was Jonathan difficult as a husband?!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting