Tuesday, August 15, 2006

You make me want to be a better man.

Monday night we celebrated our 13th anniversary.

On the way to the restaurant to celebrate, I turned on some tunes. Unintentionally, I turned on my CD player, which was loaded with a Willie Nelson CD (keep your comments to yourself, this was for educational purposes only).

Well, what song was it cued up to? It was right at the beginning of "Always on My Mind," which was tense. As we both listened to the words, I became convicted that there was an element of truth there that I could sing to my wife and I wanted to minimize that for this next year.

It reminded me of how much we can love somebody, but often not do a great job of communicating/showing it.

I'll leave you with some Willie ...
Maybe I didn't love you
Quite as often as I could have
Maybe I didn't treat you
Quite as good as I should have
If I made you feel second best
Girl I'm sorry I was blind

You were always on my mind
You were always on my mind

Maybe I didn't hold you
All those lonely, lonely times
And I guess I never told you
I'm so happy that you're mine
Little things I should have said and done
I just never took the time

You were always on my mind
You were always on my mind

Tell me, tell me that your
Sweet love hasn't died
And give me
Give me one more chance
To keep you satisfied
keep you satisfied

Little things I should have
Said and done
I just never took the time

You were always on my mind
You were always on my mind
You were always on my mind.
Anybody in your life on your mind, but you just never take the time? What can you do to show you care? Do it.

4 Comments:

At 15 August, 2006 12:55, Blogger Rev. said...

I served recently as the interim pastor of the Baptist church in Willie's hometown. Most of the members went to school with Willie and his sister, Bobbie. Sort of neat.

Anyway, it's good that you point out the lyrics to that hit song of his. Made me do a gut-check. ;)

 
At 15 August, 2006 13:14, Blogger GUNNY said...

Any in the congregation who might have been on the receiving end of Willie's "To All the Girls I've Loved"?

Any angels flying too close to the ground?

 
At 15 August, 2006 16:20, Blogger Rev. said...

I don't think so. He was hanging out with the Methodist gals.

Of course, ol' Willie was told by the folks in the Methodist church that he had to choose between playing his music at the church on Sunday mornings or at the honkey-tonks on Saturday nights. Cue Paul Harvey: "Now you know the REST OF THE STORY!"

 
At 16 August, 2006 14:29, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those are some of the greatest lyrics ever written.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting