Monday, August 07, 2006

Feed me, Seymour!

At Providence Church we are waiting until our first service in our new lease space on 8/20 to celebrate the Lord's Supper together, so it's been a little while since I've had communion with my congregation.

However, the past two weeks I have been reminded of the beauty of our one faith in the Lord Jesus Christ as I've been able to partake of the Lord's Supper with sister churches.

On July 30th, I was able to celebrate the Lord's Supper with fellow believers at Murphy Road Baptist Church. Tonight I was able to visually be reminded of the Gospel with the church family of Christ's Community Church.

Both churches practice open communion, which reminded me that we are all one in Christ and it was like visiting extended family as I dined at the Lord's table with them. I know not everyone agrees with the notion of open communion, but as a visitor, I can say I really appreciated being a welcomed guest at their table.

It also made me look with even greater longing toward our first celebration of the sacrament together on August 20th. It will be a special time to take that first communion together as a new congregation.

3 Comments:

At 08 August, 2006 00:49, Blogger M. Jay Bennett said...

I've been missing it too. It's like a part of my worship has been missing for more than a month now. I look forward to Aug. 20th.

 
At 08 August, 2006 00:58, Blogger GUNNY said...

The longing I have to worship together with my church family in the Lord's Supper reminds me of Christ's words in Matthew 26:29: "I tell you, I will not drink of this fruit of the vine from now on until that day when I drink it anew with you in my Father's kingdom."

What a glorious and emotional time that first communion together will be.

I got a fever and the only prescription is Lord's Supper. I can see Jay on the morning of 8/20 say, "Gunny, wait. Why don't you lay down that Lord's Supper right now ... with us ... together?"

I will, I can assure you, explore the lease space, really explore the space.

 
At 26 August, 2006 14:54, Blogger GUNNY said...

Incidentally, to follow up ... that Lord's Supper at Providence Churchwas good on 8/20 ... very good indeed.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting