Wednesday, May 03, 2006

They've done studies, you know. Sixty percent of the time it works every time.

So, last week I was listening to the radio and heard some interesting statistics, dealing with probability in particular. I'll assume they are true, even though we know that 72% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

The probability of winning the lottery ... 1/47 million.

The probability of death by being struck by lightning ... 1/56 thousand.

So, for which should you be more prepared?
DEFINITION: Lottery - a tax on people who can't do math.
Okay, I'll admit that's not original with me, but cute nonetheless.

4 Comments:

At 04 May, 2006 05:51, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The State institutes a VOLUNTARY tax and people actually agree to pay it. Well, I do not pay any taxes unless they are REQUIRED by law.

One good thing about the lottery: our school taxes have gone down since all that money is going to education, right?

 
At 04 May, 2006 22:20, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, James may understand math, but apparently does not understand sarcasm.

 
At 05 May, 2006 14:36, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you expect complete understanding from soemone who tries to pass off "slooge" as a word? ;)
-KingPin

 
At 09 May, 2006 14:48, Blogger GUNNY said...

Wait just one moment!

What's wrong with "slooge" as a word? That word is some good slooge and I don't appreciate those who try to make it sound all sloogey and whatnot.

If I may interject, I think it was the first Anon who understands sarcasm and King Pin (2nd Anon) who doesn't understand slooge, which is sad because I've labored over the years to educate King Pin on the greatness that is slooge.

I don't know if James understands sarcasm, but he certainly understands how to encourage one another on toward love and good deeds, like consuming mass quantities of White Castles!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting