Monday, May 01, 2006

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

At a recent conference we sang It Is Well with My Soul and my heart was moved in a way it never had been before while singing this song. I've always liked it and been able to sing it with gusto. But this was different.

In particular, the following verse really grabbed my attention and affection for the Lord Jesus.

My sin-O, the bliss of this glorious tho't-
My sin, not in part, but the whole,
Is nailed to the cross, and I bear it no more,
Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, O my soul!
Even now when I reflect upon those words, especially in light of the extraordinary circumstances by which Spafford was moved to compose them, my soul is stirred.

I too can exclaim It is well with my soul.
It is well, it is well with my soul
.

3 Comments:

At 01 May, 2006 03:54, Blogger M. Jay Bennett said...

Amen brother! Preach it!

Didn't Spafford lose wife and kids in a shipwreck? Then he actually went out to the spot where their ship had gone down and penned these lines while floating over their watery graves?

What a scene. Its amazing how the Lord can take such tragedy and yield beautiful fruit from it.

That's the cross. That's the Christ. That's our faith.

Thanks for reminding me about this great hymn. What a blessing!

Jay

 
At 01 May, 2006 08:00, Blogger Mike said...

Gun posted a link to cyberhymnal, which explains the story. You are essentially right, but his wife survived the wreck.

Yeah, man, this is an amazing him, and that is the verse, if you ask me. It has been a great blessing to me and countless other Christians these many years since it was composed.

 
At 05 May, 2006 09:37, Blogger Sew Anyway said...

How amazing! Tori, Nate and I listened to this story on the "radio" during dinner just yesterday. It is such a touching story of relationships, even a child could understand some of that depth.If anyone is interested in listening, or having their children listen, this is the link:
www.oneplace.com/Ministries/Adventures_in_Odyssey/

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting