Friday, May 05, 2006

Ok, so are we going to be creating musical fusion everyday?

Inspired by a previous post and the thoughtful comments to it, I submit the following for your review.

Though I have little to no talent in the area of congregational singing, I lack no passion for it. There's just something about singing together with God's people, singing God's praises to Him and/or others.

What do I like to sing?

My favorite traditional hymns:(Still trying get down to 10)
  • A Mighty Fortress Is Our God
  • And Can It Be?
  • Crown Him with Many Crowns
  • Be Thou My Vision
  • How Great Thou Art!
  • Holy, Holy, Holy
  • This Is My Father's World
  • Worthy of Worship
  • O Worship the King
  • Immortal, Invisible
  • To God Be the Glory
  • (Man of Sorrows) Hallelujah, What a Savior!

My favorite contemporary songs:
  • In Christ Alone
  • Shout to the Lord
  • In the Secret
  • I Stand in Awe
  • God of Wonders
  • Breathe (I'm Desperate) for You
  • Wonderful, Merciful Savior
  • Lord, I Lift Your Name on High
  • Majesty
  • I Can Only Imagine
What do you like to sing?

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 05 May, 2006 20:43, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll share!!

So many of my current favorites are old hymns which have been rewritten, so I'm going to add a third column.

Traditional Hymns:
Come Thou Long Expected Jesus (Wesley)
Come Thou Fount (Robinson)
Fairest Lord Jesus (Gesangbuch)
For All the Saints (How)

Old Hymns Rewritten:
Love That Will Not Let Me Go (Matheson/Miner)
God Be Merciful (Psalmist/Miner)
Thy Mercy, My God (Stocker/McCracken)
The Love of Christ (Gadsby/McCracken)
She Must and Shall Go Free (Gadsby/McCracken)
O Love Incomprehensible (Toplady/Twit)
Draw My Soul to Thee (Gadsby/Pocta)
Why Should I Fear? (Williams/Pocta)
Yet Sovereign Mercy Calls (Steele/Pocta)
Lamb of God (Hart/Pocta)

Contemporary:
Grace Flows Down (Bell/Giglio/Pageant)
Indescribable (Tomlin)
Oh Lord Your Love (Mullins/Young)
God Who Saves (Senseman)
Covenant Song (Tate)

 
At 15 September, 2006 00:38, Blogger GUNNY said...

And Can It Be? is clearly one of my top 5.

I LOVE the third verse most of all, but I'll bet most Baptists don't even know it because it's customary to skip the third verse for some reason.

Long my imprisoned spirit lay
fast bound in sin and nature's night.
Thine eye diffused a quickening ray.
I woke the dungeon flamed with light.
My chains fell off my heart was free.
I rose, went forth, and followed Thee.

Amen, Charles Wesley, Amazing love! How can it be?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting