Saturday, March 04, 2006

this is a league game, this determines who enters the next round robin. Am I wrong? Am I wrong?

2006 St. Louis Cardinals tickets went on sale today, at 9AM. By 9:30AM, the games I was interested in were sold out. With ticket sales and the onset of Spring Training, I started thinking about the team's chances for a World Series Championship.

Which brings to mind when they got robbed in 1985 of the championship. Don Denkinger's blown call in Game 6 cost the Cardinals the trophy.

Don Denkinger was an American League umpire for 31 seasons, but he is best remembered for being at the center of the most controversial play of the 1985 World Series. The NL Cardinals led the AL Kansas City Royals in the Series 3-2 and were ahead in the 9th inning of Game 6, 1-0. Denkinger called the Royals' Jorge Orta safe at first on a grounder to the Cardinals' Jack Clark, but TV replays (and the picture below) showed that the throw to pitcher Todd Worrell had the ball in glove long before hitter got to the bag! KC went on to rally for two runs, averting elimination, and the next day won the Series.


This was a World Series game, an elimination game. This cost the Cardinals the title in '85.

I was still tender in '87, when they also lost 4-3. I was tender when they lost the NLCS in 2000. I was tender in 2001 when they lost the NLDS. I was tender in 2002 when they lost the NLCS. I was tender in 2004 when they lost the World Series. I was tender in 2005 when they lost the NLCS. So, they've been so close lately, but never as close as when they were robbed in '85, in a World Series. I'm still tender.

Am I wrong? Am I wrong?

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 21 October, 2009 18:01, Blogger Jade said...

Boy Gunny, you were tender over a period of several years (this year include)!

Poor Gunny!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting