Saturday, February 04, 2006

outdated imperialist dogma which perpetuates the economic and social differences in our society

As the body of Coretta Scott King lays in honor in the rotunda of the capital of Georgia, I thought it befitting to resurrect the dream that was expressed by her husband. Our nation is better because of their efforts to confront evil expressed in racial segregation.

Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. organized a massive march on Washington, DC, on August 28, 1963. On the steps of the Lincoln Memorial, he gave his famous "I Have a Dream" speech, which is credited with mobilizing supporters of desegregation and prompted the 1964 Civil Rights Act. In 1965, King was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize.

An excerpt of the speech follows:

I say to you today, my friends, so even though we face the difficulties of today and tomorrow, I still have a dream. It is a dream deeply rooted in the American dream.

I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal."

I have a dream that one day on the red hills of Georgia the sons of former slaves and the sons of former slave owners will be able to sit down together at the table of brotherhood.

I have a dream that one day even the state of Mississippi, a state sweltering with the heat of injustice, sweltering with the heat of oppression, will be transformed into an oasis of freedom and justice.

I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.

I have a dream today.

I have a dream that one day, down in Alabama, with its vicious racists, with its governor having his lips dripping with the words of interposition and nullification; one day right there in Alabama, little black boys and black girls will be able to join hands with little white boys and white girls as sisters and brothers.

I have a dream today.

I share the sentiment of his dream, but particularly long to see it in Christ's churches. Christ's death bought a group consisting of every tribe and language and people and nation (Rev. 5:9). We are all His, all reconciled to God and to each other through Christ. I pray we see racial harmony on earth, as I know we'll see in heaven.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting