Thursday, January 26, 2006

Mama always said, dying was a part of life.

Rev. Dr. John Max Cox, 1928-2006

"We have different gifts, according to the grace given us. If a man's gift is ... encouraging, let him encourage..." - Romans 12:6-8; NIV

"... encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing" - 1 Thess 5:11; NIV

"And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds.
Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another" - Heb 10:24-25; NIV

Never have I met a brother in Christ who better fufilled the obligation to encourage and/or build up those in the body with whom he came in contact than John Max Cox.

I first met him when I helped him officiate a funeral for Norma Daniel, along with former pastor Rev. Kirk E. Taylor. From that initial meeting onward, I was always encouraged by him. In particular, he was the one who really encouraged me (borderline berated me) to start work on a PhD.

He was the former/founding pastor of First Baptist Church of Murphy and he will be sorely missed by those who knew him. My thoughts and prayers go out to his beloved wife, Billie.

Dying is a part of life, even for believers. However, our loss is heaven's gain. In fact, for John Max to live was Christ and to die was gain (Phil 1:21). I pray that God will raise up more like this great ambassador for Christ.

--------------------------

DENISON — John Max Cox, born June 16, 1928 in Shamrock, Texas passed away after a brief illness on January 24, 2006 surrounded by his family and friends. He ascended peacefully to be with his dear Heavenly Father for which he was a servant for most of his life.

He graduated from Shamrock, Texas High School, Howard Payne University in Brownwood, Texas and Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary in Ft. Worth, Texas. John Max was awarded an honorary Doctorate in Divinity from Howard Payne University in 1992.

John Max was a teacher, educator and minister having served in the following colleges in staff and administrative positions: Grand Canyon University in Arizona, California Baptist University in California, El Centro and Richland College of the Dallas County Community College System and Southeastern Oklahoma State University. During his days a an educator, he was also a pastor of the following churches: First Baptist Church in Murphy, Texas, Streetman Road Baptist Church, Mead, Okla., Edhube Baptist Church in Texas and Hendrix Baptist Church in Oklahoma.

His career included music ministry and traditional ministry to his death at 77 years. During his 25-year career in the Jr. College system in Dallas, he influenced many a student. He was best known for his “mission” spirit in which he served small churches that he loved.

John Max had the uncanny ability to transform small churches and many people. He was a friend to those in need, loved deeply because of his friendliness, warmth, generous spirit and ability to care for and motivate others. His life was distinguished by a 53-year marriage and two children who he adored and an enviable number of friends. He will be greatly missed by all who knew and loved him.

Rev. Cox is survived by his wife, Billie Sue Cox of Denison, Texas; daughter, Kathy Cox of Corpus Christi, Texas; son, David Cox of Corinth, Texas; grandson, Devon Cox; three sisters, Marcia Rives of Shamrock, Texas, Martha Whatley of St. Louis, Mo. and Claudine Creel of Amarillo, Texas and a large extended family that he loved dearly. Rev. Cox was preceded in death by his parents and one sister, Bethel Lea Orrick.

Funeral services will be held at 11 a.m. Saturday, January 28, 2006 at Parkside Baptist Church with Dr. Chet Haney officiating. Interment will follow at 2:30 p.m. at Ridgeview Cemetery in McKinney, Texas. The family will be receiving friends from 6 to 8 p.m. Friday, January 27, 2006 at Fisher Funeral Home.

Pallbearers will be Norman McLaren, Charles Williams, Bud Metcalf, Steve Kretzer, Dale Ross, Roy Bass, Bob Edwards and Bill Burkhead.

Memorials may be made to the building fund of Parkside Baptist Church, 301 North Lillis Lane in Denison, Texas 75020 or to Hendrix Baptist Church, P.O. Box 68, Hendrix, Okla. 74741.

Arrangements are under the direction of Fisher Funeral Home located at 604 West Main in Denison.

2 Comments:

At 15 July, 2008 15:22, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's been way too many years ago that I first met John Max Cox and last saw him. He was facilitating a "World Religion Class" at the church building in Murphy that I was a part of. I will never forget him and find it ironic that he was a part of the church I grew up in (Parkside Baptist) when he passed. I look forward to spending eternity with him. He was one of the most memorable men I've ever met! Chuck Conner (chu-brenconner@cox.net)

 
At 15 July, 2008 15:34, Blogger GUNNY said...

I have a strong hunch that he made a notable impact on far more people than he realized.

His funeral service was uplifting and we sang together the following hymn:

I KNOW WHOM I HAVE BELIEVED
1. I know not why God's wondrous grace
to me he hath made known,
nor why, unworthy, Christ in love
redeemed me for his own.

Refrain:
But I know whom I have believed,
and am persuaded that he is able
to keep that which I've committed
unto him against that day.

2. I know not how this saving faith
to me he did impart,
nor how believing in his word
wrought peace within my heart.
(Refrain)

3. I know not how the Spirit moves,
convincing us of sin,
revealing Jesus through the word,
creating faith in him.
(Refrain)

4. I know not when my Lord may come,
at night or noonday fair,
nor if I walk the vale with him,
or meet him in the air.
(Refrain)

Every time we sing it, our departed brother comes to mind.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting