You'd probably abandon your clothing if it made any kind of emotional demand on you!
While I don't believe the obligation for modesty only applies to females and I don't believe modesty only applies to attire and I don't believe males are free from responsibility when they lust, the following may prove insightful with regard to those areas.
Girls, you have an equally important role. Remember the wayward woman we discussed earlier? Your job is to keep your brothers from being led astray by her charms. Please be aware of how easily your actions and glances can stir up lust in a guy’s mind.— Joshua Harris, I Kissed Dating Goodbye
You may not realize this, but we guys most commonly struggle with our eyes. I think many girls are innocently unaware of the difficulty a guy has in remaining pure when looking at a girl who is dressed immodestly. Now I don’t want to dictate your wardrobe, but honestly speaking, I would be blessed if girls considered more than fashion when shopping for clothes. Yes, guys are responsible for maintaining self control, but you can help by refusing to wear clothing designed to attract attention to your body.
I know the world tells you that if you have a nice body, you should show it off. And we men have only helped feed this mentality. But I think you can play a part in reversing this trend. I know many girls who would look great in shorter skirts or tighter blouses, and they know it. But they choose to dress modestly. They take the responsibility of guarding their brother’s eyes. To these women and others like them, I’m grateful.”
“and let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds” (Hebrews 10:24) It’s time to start seeing other people’s purity as our responsibility.
- Read It is our most modestly priced receptacle. (Gunny's thoughts on modesty being about more than just clothing)
- Read Is modesty an issue in the church today? (An audio response from John Piper about this issue for women AND men)
- Read Modesty: A Word to Fathers. (C.J. Mahaney's wisdom to fathers about modesty and their daughters)
- Read Modesty and the Christian Woman. (Lionel Woods' thoughts on how Christian women should dress in a non-Christian world)
- Check out The Modesty Survey. (An exciting, anonymous discussion between Christian guys and girls who care about modesty hosted by TheRebelution.com, "a teenage rebellion against low expectations")
- Check out Why is a daughter's modesty a dad's responsibility? (A video clip of John Piper's message on the role of the Christian husband)
- Read Mary K. Mohler's Modeling Modesty. (a pdf booklet which uses some interesting and thought-provoking fictional characters to illustrate what is happening to Christian women in the area of (im)modest dress)
- Read "True Beauty" by Carolyn Mahaney. (a pdf chapter in the book,Biblical Womanhood in the Home)
- Read Modesty: The Attitude of the Modest Woman. (C.J. Mahaney's thoughts on the mindset behind modesty)
- Read No shirt. No shoes. No dice. (Gunny's exploratory thoughts on modesty with regard to attire)