Wednesday, February 17, 2010

I just can't help thinking that somewhere in the universe there must be something better than man.

A passage of Scripture often referred to in order to remind us of our inability to understand the complexities of God and His plans, which we don't understand is Isaiah 55:8-9.
For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, declares the Lord. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts. (ESV)

I almost referred to it in Sunday's sermon at Providence Church when speaking of how we often disagree with how God runs His universe. However, I spent a significant amount of time in the chapter and studying the context of these verses.

While I still believe the fault lies with us, and not God, when His ways of doing things don't measure up to ours, I don't think that's a valid application of Isaiah 55:8-9.

Let me give the verses with the preceding context:
6 “Seek the Lord while he may be found;
call upon him while he is near;
7 let the wicked forsake his way,
and the unrighteous man his thoughts;
let him return to the Lord, that he may have compassion on him,
and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon.
8 For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
neither are your ways my ways, declares the Lord.
9 For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
so are my ways higher than your ways
and my thoughts than your thoughts. (ESV)
(emphasis mine)

The emphasis is not on God's transcendence and imperceptibility because of our small brains, but rather on His prescribed patterns of behavior and righteous thinking which are in stark contrast to the ways of wicked, depraved humans and the devious thinking that leads to such devious behavior.

Rather than a self-revelatory description of God's incomprehensibility, it's an admonition to repentance, to changing thoughts and actions to bring them into conformity with those of a holy God.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 19 February, 2010 16:28, Blogger Rev. said...

One of the best devotional posts I've read, period. Thanks.

BTW, when you gonna put up the 'NFC East Champs' logo?

 
At 20 February, 2010 16:43, Blogger Rev. said...

VERY nice logo!

 
At 21 February, 2010 14:25, Blogger GUNNY said...

Thanks, brother! ... on both counts. I couldn't find a logo I liked, so I basically had to concoct my own.

Also, I was kind of surprised I'd never really picked up on the reality of that Is 55 action before. I know I've read it many times, but, as you know, I do have a small brain.

Hey, when you see J.I. Packer, tell him I said, "Howdy."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting