Thursday, February 04, 2010

What I've learned from you is that really one of the most important things in life is showing up. I'm blown away by your ability to show up ...

One of the Christianese words that I really don't like is the verb "to minister." I think it's become so cliche' and a word used instead of "serve" because it seems more holy. You know, "I really ministered to her today" or "Come be ministered unto by brother Some Such."

That being said, I realize it's likely here to stay. But, I wonder what constitutes a "ministry" in church. There seems to be the teaching ministry and the music ministry and nursery ministry and youth ministry and children's ministry and deacon ministry, etc.

I'd like to contend for another ministry, the ministry of showing up.

A temptation common to those involved in those various other ministries is to become bitter (or even envious) of those who "just" show up. In my church years, I've even heard sentiment that the church would be better off without those who just show up, as though they're dead weight.

Not only do I disagree, but I appreciate those with the ministry of showing up ... and if you're involved in one of those other ministries, you probably do also.

You know what a whippin' it is to prepare a sermon or a Sunday school lesson and "nobody" shows up. You know how frustrating it can be to prepare a church special event and have a poor turn out, because you weren't ministered to by the show uppers.

Don't get me wrong, the goal is to move those with the ministry of showing up to add other ministries to their church plates, but the church needs people to serve and they serve ... excuse me ... they minister to us when they do indeed show up.

To those of you who think whether or not you show up at church is irrelevant, I heartily disagree. You are needed, even if you have no ministry outside of showing up. In short, we are counting on you to minister to us by your presence, which is an encouragement to those ministers who are ministering in those other ministry areas.
And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near.
~ Hebrews 10:24-25, ESV

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 06 February, 2010 03:39, Blogger Rev. said...

What about clown ministry and drama ministry?

 
At 06 February, 2010 04:21, Blogger GUNNY said...

What? Am I like a clown to you?! Like I amuse you? What do you mean, the ministry of funny?

Tongue in check-like I say, if Eric Liddell can say, "When I run, I feel His pleasure," then perhaps Rev can say, "When I dance, I feel His pleasure."

But then again, I don't think he would have considered that his running ministry.

Rev, I knew Michael Flatley. Michael Flatley was a friend of mine ...

 
At 06 February, 2010 12:12, Blogger Rev. said...

Sorry, Gun, I forgot to include dance ministry.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting