Adventure ... Excitement ... A jedi craves not these things.
The following are 10 distinctives of "Great Commission* Keepers" over the past 200 years, according to Luis Palau. They were given at a leadership conference in Washington, DC in 1988.
If you're interested in missions or church leadership, see how you measure up.
- Passion for those apart from Christ
- Christ-centered message (not diluted with social issues, or hung up on political agendas or political correctness)
- Holiness in every area of life ~ Don't play games with God. Admit, confess, and repent of sin, striving not to do it anymore.
- Boldness to try new methods ~ So what if we fail every so often? The important thing is that we are making an attempt.
- Willingness to endure criticism
- Commitment to a local church ~ This is the group that knows you, loves you, and seeks to help you.
- Love for the whole Body of Christ ~ Seek the unity that is found through Jesus Christ and don't care who gets the credit.
- Sacrificial financial giving ~ This is a basic realization that life does not consist of accumulating more toys and things. It is a realization that everything we have belongs to God.
- Serious about private prayer ~ Personal devotions are not just reading the Bible, but they are talking and listening to the still small voice of God.
- Faithfulness to the end
*The Great Commission ~ Matthew 28:18-20
18 And Jesus came and said to them, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19 Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.” (ESV)