Monday, September 14, 2009

Sarcasm is anger's ugly cousin.

A prayer of Peter Marshall, which needs no commentary or introduction, only emulation:
I need Thee, O Lord, for a curb on my tongue; when I am tempted to making carping criticisms and cruel judgements, keep me from speaking barbed words that hurt, and in which I find perverted satisfaction. Keep me from unkind words and from unkind silences. Restrain my judgements. Make my criticisms kind, generous, and constructive. Make me sweet inside, that I may be gentle with other people, gentle in the things I say, kind in what I do. Create in me that warmth of mercy that shall enable others to find Thy strength for their weakness, Thy peace for their strife, Thy joy for their sorrow, Thy love for their hatred, Thy compassion for their weakness. In thine own strong name, I pray. Amen.

(cf. The Fruit of the Spirit (i.e., the Marks of a Christian) in Galatians 5:22-23)

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 14 September, 2009 07:50, Blogger QueenKnitter said...

Don't want to "diss" any prayer. Ever. . . .

But uh . . . really? "Sweet"? Is that our goal? To be "sweet"? Is kindness = sweetness.

Sarcasm is all over Scripture. http://stevebrownetc.com/blogs/the-guest-room/from-the-snark-nook-sarcasm-as-a-viable-form-of-communication/

Even Jesus had some pretty biting things to say to the woman at Tyre. . . .

Must we all be "sweet"?

 
At 14 September, 2009 08:03, Blogger samurai said...

Sarcasm is one 'weapon' i've learned how to operate effectively...

I agree with QeenKnitter, must we be all sweet...no, probably not... but civil, yes.

 
At 14 September, 2009 08:25, Blogger mrsjoeroberson said...

While it is true that Jesus' word were sometimes very blunt or could be considered sarcastic He was speaking the truth regarding the person's spiritual condition. I will not say that the same thing can be said of my sarcastic words which are designed to put others down and make myself look better than I am

 
At 18 September, 2009 21:37, Blogger Rev. said...

"The anger sharks are swimming in my head!"

Thanks for the conviction, Gun.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting