Monday, August 31, 2009

Redneck noise, dude, that's all it is. Make about as much sense as you do.

The question will at times come up regarding Christian music as to what inherently makes it "Christian." Is it the lyrics or the style or both?

I didn't realize, however, that the same is true in other music genres (e.g., country).

From the July 28, 2008 edition of Country Weekly:
"I have a great life, but I want to hear songs about drinking, cheating and dogs dying. That's country music to me."
-Miranda Lambert

P.S. It's amazing what you can find to read waiting your turn in the barber shop.

cf. I'm expressing my inner anguish through the majesty of song.

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 31 August, 2009 08:31, Blogger Young Wife said...

To the people out there who think we should only ever listen to and sing "Christian" music, I must ask, Do you still sing Happy Birthday when have a birthday cake? Do you teach your kids the ABC song? Because those songs do not have words that explictly praise God.

 
At 31 August, 2009 16:55, Anonymous RonH said...

Nothing makes music "Christian", because music can't be "Christian". People are Christians.

You're asking what music we can attach the label "Christian" to. But you seem to have an implicit assumption that attaching the label has some value. Why?

 
At 01 September, 2009 07:36, Blogger Lance said...

I never knew Peter Gabriel was a Christian, until I heard "In Your Eyes" on a station that is safe and fun for the whole family. :)

 
At 04 September, 2009 18:15, Blogger Rev. said...

Young Wife - Christians should only sing "Happy Birthday" to the Lord on Christmas Day.

Lance - DOH!

Ron - I disagree. Songs containing truth about our Triune God and/or expressing praise to Him for His work in creation and/or redemption are "Christian." There is a difference between the secular and the sacred - and there is sacred music. Not all music with the label of "Christian" actually is. For that matter, not every person with the label "Christian" actually is.

Young Wife - I hope you know I was just joking. ;-)

 
At 17 September, 2009 23:43, Blogger not used anymore. said...

I believe it is the message behind it and the intent. and a lot really the source of the music inspiration or even who the music is for/to. Most "Christian" music is written to The Lord. And who gave it the label "Christian' music anyway. I feel we can listen to secular or Christian. My thought is why listen to empty secular music when I can be filled with God inspired praise.

I like you, Rev.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting