Friday, February 20, 2009

First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin. Then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less.

I don't like to be seen as the guy who's always knocking stuff, especially well intentioned things, but I'm frustrated by the "I Am Second" phenomenon that appears to be growing in popularity.

While I appreciate greatly the sentiment of putting the Almighty before one's self, I think the Christian obligation is even deeper than that.

That's why I share my Facebook status for this week:
"Gunny is not second, but rather third: God first, others second, Gunny third."

When I figured out the gist of the "I Am Second" movement, I was immediately reminded of Philippians 2:3.
"Do nothing from rivalry or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves." (ESV)

In other words ... I AM THIRD.

After I preached on that section of Philippians at Providence Church, the following acrostic was suggested to me, which I share for your edification ... and joy.

J.O.Y.
Jesus
Others
You

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 20 February, 2009 10:13, Blogger Oilcan said...

Monty Python Holy Grail

I struggle enough just trying not to be first, let alone second or third.

I am second is an easier goal than third, but that is not what God commands us to be. I should be third.

 
At 22 February, 2009 20:29, Blogger Jeff Wright said...

Its difficult for me to not be cynical about the whole thing. I've gone through their website. On the one hand I think its good that people might be see the billboards, go the the website, and find help and maybe have a chance to hear and experience the gospel. On the other hand, I watched the videos from the participating pastors in the area and one of them was practically begging people to come to his church. Its safe! Its fun! Its cool! Come as you are! Trust me, you'll see! Just come...For the love of God: COME! And so my cynical side wonders how much more effective it would be for the local church to go outside of the walls of the church on mission in the community rather than spending so many millions of dollars building the next awesome campus for people to come to along with however many dollars it takes to advertise the church to let people know how awesome it as so they will come visit.

 
At 25 February, 2009 22:08, Anonymous Anonymous said...

But Jeff - architectural evangelism always equals great success. Success of course being defined as more people, more money, more national notice. Fits with what God calls success right?! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting