Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Well, then I get all excited. I'm like Jojo the idiot circus boy with a pretty new pet.

I'm starting to get really whipped by exclamation point abuse. I share two recent instances.

1. My wife was perusing houses via the miracle of the Internet, not so much because we want to move, but it's sort of her hobby.

In one she sent me I found the following description noteworthy.
THIS HOME HAS ONE OF THE BEST YARDS IN [town]! SO MANY TREES! VIEW OF GOLF COURSE FROM JUST ABOUT EVERY WINDOW IN THE HOUSE! UPDATED POOL WITH A IRON FENCE! ABSOLUTELY BREATH TAKING! IT ALSO HAS AN AWESOME HOUSE ATTACHED TO IT TOO! AND THERE IS A THREE CAR GARAGE! KITCHEN HAS GRANITE COUNTERTOPS! NEW CARPET AND PAINT!
In case you're keeping score, that's eight (8) exclamation points in that terse bit of text. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that's excessive and trying too hard.

2. Today I got a note from school about my kid's "Winter Party," which included a solicitation from the Room Mom for some cag for the party, including milks.

This caught my eye:
"The milk is to be purchased directly from the cafeteria by the parent who wants to donate it just before the party!!"
I thought to myself, "Self, I can understand bolding the text, but is it really an exclamation? If so, does it need two (2) exclamation points?"

Anyway, what's up with that? One should be enough and I've seen three exclamation points, but rarely do you see two.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

At 18 December, 2008 09:47, Anonymous Anonymous said...

GREAT POINTS GUNNY!!! THIS NEEDED TO BE SAID!!!!

sorry...couldn't resist!

 
At 18 December, 2008 10:42, Blogger Timothy said...

ME NEITHER!!!
:)

The other one is church announcements where every noun is capitalized, as in, Sunday School Class will meet in the Fellowship Hall to study the Bible, with Coffee and Donuts to follow.

 
At 18 December, 2008 12:58, Blogger Rev. said...

I COULDN'T AGREE WITH ANON ANY MORE!!!!! AND WITH TIMOTHY!!! I JUST HOPE TIMOTHY DOESN'T FORGET TO BRING THE COFFEE AND DONUTS TO SUNDAY SCHOOL CLASS!!

 
At 22 December, 2008 09:23, Blogger not used anymore. said...

Yes, being of fb has caused me to over exclaim my sentences. I used to get letters from someone who would really scream most of the stuff it seemed by all the exclamation point.

btw, I'm glad you are still blogging. I must catch up!

 
At 22 December, 2008 21:08, Blogger Lance said...

LOL!!!!!!!

 
At 29 December, 2008 17:16, Blogger WhiteStone said...

"The milk is to be purchased directly from the cafeteria by the parent who wants to donate it just before the party!!" Every mom who reads a sentence like this knows that the inflection is at the end of the sentence and denotes, "Please, Somebody, step forth and buy the milk!"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting