Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Heck, I'm not even mad, that's amazing!

So, I'm driving in the car with my boy and from the backseat I hear him sing the following:
Jingle bells
Batman smells
Robin laid an egg
Batmobile lost it's wheel
and the Joker got away.

2 things came to mind:

1. How easy some things can be passed down by oral tradition. Many of us probably remember that song, which has never been written down as far as I know.

It's interesting how some things couldn't be suppressed even if we tried and yet other things are so difficult to pass down, typically the stuff of redeeming value.

2. How things can be learned wherein the full meaning is not realized. When I learned the song, it never occurred to me that Robin laying an egg was a play on Robin being named after a bird, and birds do indeed lay eggs.

I thought about the multitude of things we teach our kids at home and at church, particularly of a spiritual nature, the fullness of which they may not realize for years to come. But, I think we lay a foundation for the future, giving them a theological skeleton on which flesh is added over time.

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 09 December, 2008 21:42, Blogger Sean Crowe said...

What??? I thought it was a commentary on Robin's sexual orientation. You mean to say it is just a play on words? Man, that sure clears a lot up for me Gunny. Thanks

 
At 09 December, 2008 21:57, Blogger not used anymore. said...

"giving them a theological skeleton on which flesh is added over time."

what a great illiteration/metaphor.

 
At 10 December, 2008 07:58, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why I use catechism.

 
At 11 December, 2008 10:15, Blogger Timothy said...

I'm sure it won't be long before Andy learns the song. He knows a few already, and he always wants us to sing the Alphabet song in our family worship time. It's the only one he knows well, besides that one about rosies, and posies and us all falling down, which I think is actually about the black plague. Now why did someone teach my three year old a song about the black plague, I'll never know.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting