Saturday, January 26, 2008

First rule of Fight Club, you do not talk about Fight Club. Second rule of Fight Club, you DO NOT talk about Fight Club.

I don't know if you noticed, but hockey season has started up. I took the kids to a game and we were blessed with a fight as the silver lining in a Stars loss.

My oldest daughter asked me, "Why are they fighting" and "Why do they let them fight?"

I tried to explain that it was part of the game. They'll have to serve some penalty time, but it's a good way for the goons to keep the other team honest and to get your own team motivated.

You know ... it's kind of hard to explain why they allow fighting in hockey and in no other sport of its kind. But I did try.

I'm not sure she understood it all, but I'm glad they allow fighting in hockey. I know some would love to see it done away with, but I'm not one of them.

Incidentally, here is a neat resource: HockeyFights.com (HT Tony)

Here are a few selections for your viewing pleasure:

Grant Marshall of the Stars (in white) is "giving the business" to Kelly Buchberger of the Edmonton Oilers. Get sum!


This next one is a beauty. It's hard to enjoy anything more than the Avalance & Red Wings pounding on each other. But in this one you also get a rare treat, the goalies squaring off. Patrick Roy vs. Chris Osgood. It's all good.

7 Comments:

At 26 January, 2008 15:10, Blogger Bro. Jeff Hallmark said...

Thanks for a little action on a cold snowy day here in Prince George, BC Canada.

 
At 26 January, 2008 16:17, Blogger Hough said...

If you had fights on your blog I'd read everyday. I agree they need to keep them, in fact I think the NBA should add them, it might keep me from falling asleep when watching.

 
At 26 January, 2008 20:14, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it would be neat if they allowed fights in Curling.

 
At 26 January, 2008 22:33, Blogger Jason Nota said...

That was great! Brought back great memories. I always wanted to see that again. Thanks. Fighting in hockey is part of the game. They did change it so you don't have the bench clearing brawls.

 
At 27 January, 2008 09:10, Blogger Timothy said...

O great. I come over here for a noble cause, to find out more about the persecute church for my pastoral prayer, and end up satisfying the flesh watching fights! Now there is some irony. :)

 
At 28 January, 2008 12:24, Blogger samurai said...

I can't get into Hockey for some reason. I dunno, maybe it seems wrong to allow the fighting to me...

 
At 28 January, 2008 13:45, Blogger Oilcan said...

Fight Club

Looks like these players had been "putting on the foil" in the spirit of "old time hockey".

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting