Thursday, August 16, 2007

Need a little wind here.

My first exposure to "contemporary Christian" music came from Keith Green while at Texas A&M University. I always found his music (1 & 2) emotionally stirring, challenging, and encouraging all at the same time.

While everyone was droning on about the hip & now Christian artists they wanted to see in concert, I was holding out for Keith. I was devastated to learn that he'd been dead since 1982.

Keith is not my theologian and one of his heroes is my bogeyman (i.e., Charles Grandison Finney), but he played a major part in helping me to love the Lord my God with all my heart.

Who can forget Keith's "No empty words and no white lies. No token prayers; no compromise"?

If you'd like a little taste of Keith's heart, read What's Wrong with the Gospel? (The Missing Parts & The Added Parts). Remember as you do that he died July 28th, 1982. Imagine how upset he'd be with the past 25 years of "development" in these areas.

We're going to be singing one of Keith's songs at Providence Church this Sunday, so I thought I'd share the lyrics from one of Keith's songs that captures my desire, my need.

Rushing Wind:

Rushing wind, blow through this temple,
Blowing out the dust within.
Come and breathe your breath upon me.
I've been born again.

Holy Spirit, I surrender;
Take me where you want to go.
Plant me by your living water;
Plant me deep so I can grow.

Jesus, you’re the one who sets my spirit free;
Use me, Lord; glorify your Holy Name through me.
Separate me from this world, Lord;
Sanctify my life for you.
Daily change me to your image,
Help me bear good fruit.

Ev'ry day you're drawing closer;
Trials come to test my faith.
But when all is said and done, Lord,
You know it's been worth the wait.

Jesus, you’re the one who set my spirit free;
Use me, Lord; glorify your Holy Name through me.

Rushing wind, blow through this temple,
Blowing out the dust within.
Come and breathe you breath upon me,
For I've been born again.
-Keith Green

5 Comments:

At 16 August, 2007 12:10, Blogger Timothy said...

I like Keith for a while as well... but what is odd is that I liked it when other people did his music all the more.
Blessings

 
At 16 August, 2007 12:24, Blogger GUNNY said...

I had a buddy whose girlfriend at the time said something to the effect of, "I love his music. I just wish somebody else would sing it."

Of course, some of those songs were written by Melody and sung by Keith as well.

 
At 16 August, 2007 18:33, Blogger Rev. said...

I didn't hear any Keith until 1991. When I did... man! Great stuff! Read his biography shortly thereafter. Like you, I don't care much for his theological mentor, but I do appreciate his music.

 
At 16 August, 2007 19:33, Blogger GUNNY said...

Rev,

I did not know that! Keith is pretty much all I listened to from 1990-93, Christian or otherwise.

I'll have to serenade you with some of my favorites some time.

 
At 20 August, 2007 08:38, Anonymous Anonymous said...

By the way, "There is a Redeemer" was written (lyrics and music) by Melody Green, not Keith.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting