Wednesday, August 01, 2007

How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive compulsive disorder, then act like I have some choice about barging in here?

I've mentioned Calvinism and Hyper-Calvinism, but here's a more lighthearted look at the Calvinism issue.

Remember the "Cage Stage" where the new Calvinist should be locked away in a cage for a year or so due to being such an obsessive Calvinist? Many of us have known the militant and/or obnoxious Calvinist. Some of us may have even been one.

Might that be you? Well, here are ...

25 Warning Signs That You Might Be Obsessing about Calvinism


Or, for a change of pace, how about ...

Ten Effects of Believing in the Five Points of Calvinism
by John Piper, April 20, 2002

1. These truths make me stand in awe of God and lead me into the depth of true God-centered worship.
2. These truths help protect me from trifling with divine things.
3. These truths make me marvel at my own salvation.
4. These truths make me alert to man-centered substitutes that pose as good news.
5. These truths make me groan over the indescribable disease of our secular, God-belittling culture.
6. These truths make me confident that the work which God planned and began, he will finish – both globally and personally.
7. These truths make me see everything in the light of God's sovereign purposes – that from him and through him and to him are all things, to him be glory forever and ever.
8. These truths make me hopeful that God has the will, the right, and the power to answer prayer that people be changed.
9. These truths remind me that evangelism is absolutely essential for people to come to Christ and be saved, and that there is great hope for success in leading people to faith, but that conversion is not finally dependent on me or limited by the hardness of the unbeliever.
10. These truths make me sure that God will triumph in the end.
(Read the whole article.)

3 Comments:

At 04 August, 2007 00:49, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a very good friend whose husband has become a hyper-militant-Calvinist. It's laughable really, especially to us, his Calvinist friends...except when we want to put soap in our socks and pummel him...

 
At 04 August, 2007 09:18, Blogger Pablo said...

I remember my own struggle with the doctrines of grace (early 90's), and someone should have locked me in a closet for about a year afterward. One of the guys in my church recently went through the same thing and it was all I could do to get him to "chill out," and have some patience with those who had not yet "arrived."

thanks for the post.

 
At 04 August, 2007 21:09, Blogger brentjthomas said...

Thank you for providing this great list by Piper. Beautiful ways to think about such matters.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting