Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Sure, all you can handle, bro.

As most of you probably know, Desiring God is having an online sale where every book is $5.

All Books for $5
Every book in our store will be $5 on June 27-28, Wednesday and Thursday.

No limits, so spread the word.

(This sale is online only.)

My suggestions in the categories of essentials, good to have, and pastoral resources:

If you are new to Kwan that is John Piper & Desiring God Ministries, let me recommend the following essentials:
  • Desiring God -- The essence of Desiring God ministries, where we get the tagline, "God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him" and the tweaked chief end of man: "Man's chief end is to glorify God by enjoying Him forever."
  • The Pleasures of God -- This is my favorite book by Dr. Piper (aka "the Pipe" per Lance). In it we learn what God delights in. This was my second "Pipe" book and I've read it many times and taught it in Sunday school (as I did the above Desiring God and Future Grace).
  • Let the Nations Be Glad! -- This was the 1st book I read from the Pipe, in a missions class at seminary, and I absolutely loved it. It was the first time my conviction that we were created for Him and that we do missions for Him (HT Paris Reidhead) and not the heathen was confirmed by a contemporary author. It opens with: "Missions is not the ultimate purpose of the church. Worship is. Missions exists because worship does not." If you do not get this book, I will fight you, and that's not lie.
The following are some other goodies of which you might avail yourself in your life and there's no better time than now at $5 each! Hurry, as Dr. Piper might start cracking down on such stuff!

Not essential, but you should have in your library or people will look down on you:
  • What Jesus Demands of the World -- The title enough is reason to buy it, if not to remind ourselves that there are expectations of which we need to be aware.
  • Future Grace -- The tagline is "The purifying power of living by faith in future grace." God's been faithful to you in the past and he will do so in the future as well. It's our lack of faith that fuels our sin, being birthed in distrust.
  • Don't Waste Your Life -- This is my favorite book by Dr. Piper (aka "the Pipe" per Lance). In it we learn what God delights in. This was my second "Pipe" book and I've read it many times and taught it in Sunday school (as I did the above 2 also).
  • When I Don't Desire God-- Some great thoughts on Christian living and dealing with the touchy subject of our lack of desire.
Lastly, some good slooge for you pastor types:
  • Feed My Sheep -- The is required reading in the introductory expository preaching classes I teach at Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary and it is that good. From a variety of authors (Mohler, MacArthur, Sproul, Beeke, Piper, Ferguson, Boice, etc.) on really gets a great sampling of thought on the priority of preaching and its necessity for God's people.
  • Recovering Biblical Manhood & Womanhood -- This is a good resource to have with regard to the touchy and always relevant issues of gender in church life.
  • Preaching the Cross -- This is a collection of the talks at Together for the Gospel last year (my synopsis). If you couldn't make it, this is gold for you.
  • The Supremacy of God in Preaching -- Lots of good Edwards slooge in here and the title is a great indication of why we should do what we do.
  • The Justification of God: An Exegetical and Theological Study of Romans 9:1-23-- Super work on a crucial text. You'll have a hard time sleeping at night only paying $5 for this one.
  • Brothers, We Are Not Professionals -- I got this as a gift (HT Lance) and was not offended by the accusation that I was professional, for that would have been laughable. Yet, a great reminder (hopefully) to us on why we are to do what we do and how to do it and how not to do it.
Personally, I have all of these, so I'm going to hone in on the biographical studies that were birthed from John Piper's messages in the pastors conferences (e.g.).

The mission of Desiring God Ministries: to spread a passion for the supremacy of God in all things for the joy of all peoples, through Jesus Christ.

Help them do that by buying some books ... AND reading them.

Should you take advantage of this great sale? Sure, all you can handle, bro.

5 Comments:

At 26 June, 2007 15:29, Blogger Lance said...

I do think I might just pony up for some wares there this week.

One thing I appreciate about "The Pipe" is that many of his books are available to read free online. I'd much rather read a copy in my lap, but hey, if times get tight, I can always go on line and read.

Currently enjoying online, "What Jesus Demands of the World." Good stuff.

Also taking youth, men and women through "The Blazing Center" DVD this summer.

Good stuff, man, good stuff.

And much to your relief, I have once again posted a blog after a long dry spell.

 
At 26 June, 2007 15:41, Blogger GUNNY said...

I think I speak for the vast majority of the English-speaking world (particularly those who speak Texan or American) when we express our joy that you've once again posted.

I was really starting to get the shakes ... and that's not good at all.

 
At 26 June, 2007 19:43, Anonymous Anonymous said...

another Tommy Boy quote, GREATNESS!!

I thought we could cruise the 4H babes later...

 
At 26 June, 2007 21:24, Blogger GUNNY said...

We're family, we're gonna be doing lots of dumb stuff together. Wait 'til Christmas.

 
At 30 June, 2007 02:11, Blogger GUNNY said...

Good reminder, Lance, about the Piper books online that can be read for FREE.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting