Sure, all you can handle, bro.
As most of you probably know, Desiring God is having an online sale where every book is $5.
All Books for $5
Every book in our store will be $5 on June 27-28, Wednesday and Thursday.
No limits, so spread the word.
(This sale is online only.)
My suggestions in the categories of essentials, good to have, and pastoral resources:
If you are new to Kwan that is John Piper & Desiring God Ministries, let me recommend the following essentials:
- Desiring God -- The essence of Desiring God ministries, where we get the tagline, "God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him" and the tweaked chief end of man: "Man's chief end is to glorify God by enjoying Him forever."
- The Pleasures of God -- This is my favorite book by Dr. Piper (aka "the Pipe" per Lance). In it we learn what God delights in. This was my second "Pipe" book and I've read it many times and taught it in Sunday school (as I did the above Desiring God and Future Grace).
- Let the Nations Be Glad! -- This was the 1st book I read from the Pipe, in a missions class at seminary, and I absolutely loved it. It was the first time my conviction that we were created for Him and that we do missions for Him (HT Paris Reidhead) and not the heathen was confirmed by a contemporary author. It opens with: "Missions is not the ultimate purpose of the church. Worship is. Missions exists because worship does not." If you do not get this book, I will fight you, and that's not lie.
Not essential, but you should have in your library or people will look down on you:
- What Jesus Demands of the World -- The title enough is reason to buy it, if not to remind ourselves that there are expectations of which we need to be aware.
- Future Grace -- The tagline is "The purifying power of living by faith in future grace." God's been faithful to you in the past and he will do so in the future as well. It's our lack of faith that fuels our sin, being birthed in distrust.
- Don't Waste Your Life -- This is my favorite book by Dr. Piper (aka "the Pipe" per Lance). In it we learn what God delights in. This was my second "Pipe" book and I've read it many times and taught it in Sunday school (as I did the above 2 also).
- When I Don't Desire God-- Some great thoughts on Christian living and dealing with the touchy subject of our lack of desire.
- Feed My Sheep -- The is required reading in the introductory expository preaching classes I teach at Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary and it is that good. From a variety of authors (Mohler, MacArthur, Sproul, Beeke, Piper, Ferguson, Boice, etc.) on really gets a great sampling of thought on the priority of preaching and its necessity for God's people.
- Recovering Biblical Manhood & Womanhood -- This is a good resource to have with regard to the touchy and always relevant issues of gender in church life.
- Preaching the Cross -- This is a collection of the talks at Together for the Gospel last year (my synopsis). If you couldn't make it, this is gold for you.
- The Supremacy of God in Preaching -- Lots of good Edwards slooge in here and the title is a great indication of why we should do what we do.
- The Justification of God: An Exegetical and Theological Study of Romans 9:1-23-- Super work on a crucial text. You'll have a hard time sleeping at night only paying $5 for this one.
- Brothers, We Are Not Professionals -- I got this as a gift (HT Lance) and was not offended by the accusation that I was professional, for that would have been laughable. Yet, a great reminder (hopefully) to us on why we are to do what we do and how to do it and how not to do it.
The mission of Desiring God Ministries: to spread a passion for the supremacy of God in all things for the joy of all peoples, through Jesus Christ.
Help them do that by buying some books ... AND reading them.
Should you take advantage of this great sale? Sure, all you can handle, bro.