Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Nothing burps better than bacon.

I got to meet George Foreman, Sr. today at a book signing (one of my favorite boxers).

Most know him as a heavyweight champion:
  • Olympic gold medal in '68
  • Heavyweight champion of the world in '73 (Down goes Frazier! Down goes Frazier!)
  • Heavyweight champion of the world in '94 (oldest at 45; the longest gap between championships)
  • Champion of the grill, the George Foreman Grill

As a kid I knew him as the guy who was not gonna pay a lot for that muffler and the boxer who did a guest spot on Sanford & Son.

Yet, many, including me, did not know him as presently being a pastor of a small church in Houston. In his book he recounts an interesting conversion experience after a lost fight in '77 which has changed his life forever, including how he boxes. I got to read his book while waiting in the queue and found some interesting stuff, like the rationale as to why he named all of his sons George Edward Foreman (II through VI). What most impressed me in the book was that after regaining the title in '94 on a Saturday night he flew home and preached the next morning. I wonder if he would have gone to the bullpen had he lost, however.

In my brief encounter with this father of ten, I found him personable and encouraging toward me as a fellow pastor.

He relived for me his Sanford & Son experience of working with Redd Foxx as "Crazy, absolutely crazy." Man, I loved that show.

What seemed most interesting to him was when I told him about how much the Lone Star Founders Fraternal appreciated him once a month as we enjoyed the fruit of his George Foreman Grill. I said, "Nothing makes bacon better than the George Foreman Grill, Amen?" I got an "Amen" from George as well as some appreciation of his contribution to our pursuit of godliness that includes that which God's people can appreciate and enjoy to the glory of God as New Covenant believers. After all, nothing burps better than bacon.

I'll leave you with his favorite Scripture:
1Blessed is the man who walks not in the counsel of the wicked, nor stands in the way of sinners, nor sits in the seat of scoffers; 2but his delight is in the law of the LORD, and on his law he meditates day and night. 3He is like a tree planted by streams of water that yields its fruit in its season, and its leaf does not wither. In all that he does, he prospers. 4The wicked are not so, but are like chaff that the wind drives away. 5Therefore the wicked will not stand in the judgment, nor sinners in the congregation of the righteous; 6for the LORD knows the way of the righteous, but the way of the wicked will perish.
-Psalm 1, ESV

3 Comments:

At 30 May, 2007 07:48, Blogger Rev. said...

I heard on the radio that the Rev. Foreman would be signing his book up your way. Would've loved to have been there with you.... I think to the point of breaking the 10th Commandment. ;)

 
At 30 May, 2007 09:07, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"This is the big one...Elizabeth, I'm coming to join you"

Many nights were spent watching Sanford and Son at my house growing up. I will still catch my dad watching reruns when I go visit.

~Michelle

 
At 31 May, 2007 16:02, Blogger M. Jay Bennett said...

Did you offer him a glass of Champipple?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting