Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!

Most don't know it, but there are elected positions in the Southern Baptist Convention, for example a president and an assortment of vice-presidents.

I'm not really sure what those tasks entail, but it's a big deal, at least with regard to who is the president (currently Frank Page).

Historically, such elections (since the conservative resurgence) have been where candidates were typically unopposed, this past year being an exception.

To demonstrate this phenomenon, Wiley Drake (LA pastor) will not accept a nomination to be re-elected as 2nd VP of the SBC. He feels God has so led him to not be party to any conflict or hurt feelings, since he's learned of the potential nomination of another.

Yet, he's still available if need be for service down the road. He won't try to oust the current president who is allowed to be elected to another term, however.

“I think [current president Frank Page] has done a good job,” Drake said. “I mean, he’s not perfect, he’s not the Lord, but I think he deserves another chance. After that, I would accept a nomination to be president.

Assuming, Frank Page is elected president in 2008 and then Wiley Drake is elected in 2009 and 2010, I figure I'd go ahead and end any suspense.

After that, I would accept a nomination to be president. Thank you for your support.

13 Comments:

At 22 May, 2007 22:42, Blogger M. Jay Bennett said...

The Gun Show in '11!

Can I be your campaign manager?

 
At 22 May, 2007 22:55, Blogger Rev. said...

If I'm still a Southern Baptist by then, I'd be more than happy to nominate you for Prez. Of course, you'll have to nominate me for Veep. It will have to be a ticket deal. Can you roll with that?

 
At 22 May, 2007 22:56, Blogger Rev. said...

That is, if Wade Burleson and Ben Cole aren't already jockeying for that lead.

 
At 23 May, 2007 01:39, Blogger GUNNY said...

You know it, Jay. 2 tickets to the Gun show ... coming up.

Rev, that's how I roll!

First order of bidness, getting the northern Baptists to surrender some White Castle restaurants to us Baptists who are Southern.

In fact, that has to be our campaign slogan, White Castles in '11. If we're gonna have a Superbowl in the DFW metroplex in '11, we need to have something to feed these folks physically if we expect them to listen to our menu spiritually.

Jay, I'll leave to you the details and the artwork on the signs.

 
At 23 May, 2007 09:03, Blogger Jared Nelson said...

Jay- you don't think it would be a little worrysome to the SBC if a Presbyterian is running gunny's campaign?

 
At 23 May, 2007 10:26, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gunny for President 2011! Just tell them, you will make all of their wildest dreams come true.

If you need to use any of my skills, I can do whatever you want.

If you win, I can be your secretary or something.

Plus I could be your bodyguard too.

Or, like, Secret Service captain or... whatever.

-NapOilcan Dynamite

 
At 23 May, 2007 11:45, Blogger Lance said...

Will your first order of business be to rename it to:

Slooge Baptist Convention?

 
At 23 May, 2007 12:48, Blogger M. Jay Bennett said...

Jared:

Nah . . . The systemic infection of pragmatism among Southern Baptists means just about anyone could do it. If it works, it's good.

But if the constituency begins to show signs of agitation, I'll just walk the aisle and "poof" I'm Baptist again.

It would all be worth it to get the Gun into position.

 
At 23 May, 2007 19:50, Blogger pdoane said...

I told you, we're an anarco-sydicalist commune. We take it in turns to be a sort of executive officer for the week but all the decisions of that officer have to be ratified at a special bi-weekly meeting by a simple majority in the case of purely internal affairs but by a two thirds majority in the case of...

 
At 24 May, 2007 16:35, Blogger M. Jay Bennett said...

Wha?

 
At 24 May, 2007 17:01, Blogger GUNNY said...

You're fooling yourself. We're living in a dictatorship.

A self-perpetuating autocracy in which the working classes ...

Listen, strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government.

 
At 25 May, 2007 08:38, Blogger Rev. said...

If it's a dictatorship, you can say such things as, "I don't want to talk to you no more, you empty headed animal food trough wiper. I fart in your general direction. Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries."

 
At 25 May, 2007 17:17, Blogger GUNNY said...

And you can tell him, "We've already got one."

Yeah, it's very nice.

Now, go away before I taunt you a 2nd time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting