Friday, May 25, 2007

I am your father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate.

Today is the 30th anniversary of Star Wars (what would later be called "Episode IV: A New Hope").

I may have to sit down with the kids and watch Star Wars with the kids for movie night.

I've been reflecting today about how much popular culture has been impacted by Star Wars (and the series that followed) .

We all know what it means to "use the force" and the potency of the "Jedi mind trick," but arrogantly assume it won't work on us. We all know what it takes to make the jump to light speed, though traveling through hyperspace ain't like dusting crops, boy!

How many times have lads named Luke heard, "Luke, I am your father"? How many times did you put your deflector shields up to parry off the attacks of another.

Without Star Wars, we'd never have wookies or droids or the huge jump start to Harrison Ford's career. Without Star Wars, we'd never have the hair style known as the Princess Leia, with buns one each side of the head.

Without Star Wars, we'd never have had "Spaceballs."

Without the Star Wars series, Samuel L. Jackson would have never had a chance to play an "angry black male." Without the Star Wars series, we'd never have known Ewoks or the peril of being frozen in carbonite.

Personally, I had a Darth Vader birthday cake one year. While my sister was playing with dolls, I had my "action figures" and Star Wars collectors' cards. I put a great deal of my allowance into the Star Wars video game back in the day. I was wearing a Star Wars t-shirt when ridiculed by a private school admissions counselor in El Paso for wearing attire that would certainly be inappropriate at his school. I was Darth Vader & a Stormtrooper consecutive years for Halloween, back in my heathen days. ; - ) To this day, I'm still a master at the Darth Vader breathing technique.

I can remember fondly Rachel going through a phase when she was two where you'd ask her, "Who are you?" and she'd respond in her grumpy/scary voice, "I'm Darth Vader!" On my son's bed at present are the Star Wars sheets I had on my bed as a lad.

What's your most fond Star Wars memory or cultural phenomenon?

9 Comments:

At 25 May, 2007 17:03, Blogger Rev. said...

I bought the comic books as soon as they hit the racks. Had the trading cards (just yesterday on the radio I heard they are worth $100s, and soon may be worth $1000s...doh!). Had the action figures - the "little ones" (3"-4") and the "big ones" (12"-13").

Watched 'The Empire Strikes Back' at the drive-in (yes, at the DRIVE-IN!) with my family.

Hate the Ewoks (like they could whip up on storm troopers, gimme a break) and Jar-Jar Binks (sure, that's who I'd appoint to the Imperial Senate if I had the choice).

May the schwartz be with you!

 
At 25 May, 2007 17:14, Blogger GUNNY said...

Oh yeah, I forgot about the "big" action figures. I only had Luke and Darth Vader, though.

Did you have the action figure carrying case shaped like Darth Vader's upper torso?

I was always envious of a kid down the street who had the Millennium Falcon. I actually swapped him at one point for something and his mom came and chewed me out and made us swap back. I thought it was fair, his Millennium Falcon for my extra Princess Leia.

Gotta go ... Ludicrous Speed!

 
At 25 May, 2007 19:05, Blogger Lance said...

I wanted to blog on this today, but there's so much to say. I'll say some of it here.
I first saw SW when I was ten (1977)--North Park Cinema 4, OKC, with my mom, dad and sister. I was bored for about the first half-hour, but remember walking out, wondering if it was not the best movie I had ever seen.
Saw it two more times that summer: once for a birthday party and another, just 'cause I had to see it again.
Not long after, I wore socks up to my knees that said, "Darth Vader Lives." Also had two necklaces--one R2D2 and the other a Darth Vader mask.
I'm guessing the movie cost $3.50 or $4.00 at the time, and we thought that was expensive.

Probably not new info to you, but did you know that the actor who played Chewbacca lives in Granbury now?

 
At 25 May, 2007 19:49, Blogger GUNNY said...

Lance wrote:
"Probably not new info to you, but did you know that the actor who played Chewbacca lives in Granbury now?"

I did not know that. That is wild, wacky stuff. You think we could get him out to a meeting of the Lone Star Founders Fraternal to talk about the role of Star Wars wisdom in pastoral ministry?

Incidentally, anyone else have the Star Wars lunch box? I remember getting action figures for $1. If I had any idea, how shrewd would it be to have kept a set in the box and preserved them for posterity?

I remember getting a Princess Leia and a Darth Vader for my daughters, Sarah & Rachel respectively (used and in used condition) on ebay and it really brought back memories.

 
At 25 May, 2007 22:20, Blogger M. Jay Bennett said...

I had the Vader-shaped carrying case.

One of my earliest memories is seeing Star Wars at our local small-town theater (around age 5, 1980).

Its hard to express how much a part of my psyche the Star Wars films are. I couldn't imagine not knowing about what happened a long time ago in a galaxy far far away.

 
At 25 May, 2007 22:40, Blogger pdoane said...

I had enough little figures to fill the square vinal carrying case - the DV case was neat. I also had a large Chewbacca, Han, and Stormtrooper, but lost his weapon in the sandbox. I was pretty sad about that. I also had the large x wing, and remote control R2D2...I was not much of a fan. I still have the figures, but have not seen or attempted to look at how valuable they are.

I am mog....half man half dog.

 
At 25 May, 2007 22:50, Blogger GUNNY said...

Whoa!

You still have the figures?!

The next time we hook up you MUST bring them. What a trip down memory lane that would be.

Hey, if Chewie comes to the Founders meeting, that would be the perfect time to bring them. I'm sure he's got a collection beyond comparison in these parts.

Sadly, you reminded me of one of the greatest tragedies in the life of a young jedi in training, the losing of a Star Wars action figure's gun.

That was the worst of all bad bull.

 
At 26 May, 2007 20:00, Blogger TulipGirl said...

I remember my soon-to-be-dad taking me to see the first Star Wars.

 
At 26 May, 2007 20:08, Blogger pdoane said...

They are at my sisters house in Houston. When my mother moved to stay with her, I was surprised to find out they still existed!! As I have gotten older and spent time collecting base ball cards / NASCAR-NHRA die cast collectables, knowing what i know know now about "mint condition", if these figures were still in the packaging....hhmmmm...$$$$???

I have to throw out another line....
funny, she doesn't look Druish.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting