Monday, October 16, 2006

Why Can’t We Pick Our Own Colors?

The following is an article that will appear in the Wylie News and the Murphy Monitor this week. It speaks to the providence of God in the details of our life that we often question.
Why Can't We Pick Our Own Colors?

The movie “Reservoir Dogs” is an odd movie, but there's a scene in it that I found interesting. There's a point where the boss is assigning code names to the guys he’s assembled to do a "job." The code names are colors (e.g., Mr. White, Mr. Brown, Mr. Pink, etc.).

As you might expect “Mr. Pink” is unhappy and asks the question, "Why can't we pick our own colors?"

The boss makes it clear that he's in charge and each one is stuck with that color he's been assigned.

Historically, in this county people have at times seen aspects of one's birth as God’s favor or disfavor. For example, some have seen it as a blessing to be born with white skin or a curse to be born with dark skin. Some believe a wealthy family of origin means that God likes you and the opposite means He doesn’t. But there’s no truth in that, particularly as one remembers that Jesus was born a dark-skinned Jew to young parents of a conquered people.

Why can't we pick our own colors?

Would it surprise you to learn that you are the way God wanted you to be? God didn't make a mistake and He's the boss.

God in His providence gave you the parents you have. He ordained that you would be born where you were and that you would look like you do, including hair color and height, etc. Yet we seem to be so concerned with “improving” ourselves due to much dissatisfaction.

Instead, we should realize that we are God’s workmanship, as was done in Psalm 139:14. “I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made” (ESV).

There’s a children’s catechism that asks as one of the first questions, “Who made you?” The answer is “God made me.” It’s simple and subtle, but if God made you and God has a perfect plan, then He made no accident where you are concerned. That doesn’t mean life will be easy for you, but all your experiences in life and who you are come together as part of God’s plan for you, either to be blessed by them or to grow and/or learn from them (cf. Psalm 139:14-16).
As a post-script ... I always find it odd to hear of a group being "proud" to be a part of a particular group over which they had no control (e.g., color, country of origin, height, etc.). Similarly, I find it odd for a Christian to be "proud" of his/her spiritual state.

I'm reminded of Paul's consternation to such a mindset:
For who sees anything different in you? What do you have that you did not receive? If then you received it, why do you boast as if you did not receive it? (1 Cor 4:7)

4 Comments:

At 16 October, 2006 09:51, Blogger Rev. said...

Gunny: I don't disagree with a word you have written. Also, I'm glad that the local newspaper is employing your articles.

Just a thought as this article hits the stands -- The statement, "Would it surprise you to learn that you are the way God wanted you to be? God didn't make a mistake and He's the boss... Yet we seem to be so concerned with 'improving' ourselves due to much dissatisfaction" may be used by some as an excuse/justification for their sinful propensities. Just a thought.

 
At 16 October, 2006 14:51, Blogger GUNNY said...

Good point Rev. That language could and perhaps should be cleaned up. I'm thinking in the context of our hair color or the shape of our noses or collagen in our lips or other "implants" and such.

I was hoping the context would clarify, but perhaps not. On a blog I have the liberty to be verbose and more exhaustive and precise, but I get a limited word count with "the man" when I submit my slooge.

 
At 16 October, 2006 20:36, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was thinking about this earlier today, what about us men who sometime wear a beard, or goatee, or just go clean shaven- are we guilty as well? God made me to grow hair all over my face (and a few years bakc the top of me head as well), yet I daily shave to change this. True this is a less permanent change than other things mentioned, but still a change no less.
-KingPin

 
At 16 October, 2006 22:46, Blogger GUNNY said...

You know King Pin, there was a time when a man could not teach at Dallas Theological Seminary with a beard. I'm relatively confident that they were not alone in that policy.

I always got a kick out of such a policy. I understand wanting people to be groomed, but when the Lord Jesus wouldn't be able to teach it seems to me that something has gone astray.

Of course, any school with such a policy might be willing to grant Him an exception!

; )

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting