Wednesday, October 11, 2006

We don't read and write poetry because it's cute.

We read and write poetry because we are members of the human race and the human race is filled with passion.

The following is a poem by John Donne (1572-1631), Holy Sonnet XIV: "Batter My Heart"

I love the imagery and forcefulness with which Donne wants God to work in his life. I'm also struck by the passion contained herein.

(WARNING: Donne doesn't seem to agree with or desire the "God is a gentleman" theory.)
Batter my heart, three-person'd God, for you
As yet but knock, breathe, shine, and seek to mend;
That I may rise and stand, o'erthrow me, and bend
Your force to break, blow, burn, and make me new.
I, like an usurp'd town to another due,
Labor to admit you, but oh, to no end;
Reason, your viceroy in me, me should defend,
But is captiv'd, and proves weak or untrue.
Yet dearly I love you, and would be lov'd fain,
But am betroth'd unto your enemy;
Divorce me, untie or break that knot again,
Take me to you, imprison me, for I,
Except you enthrall me, never shall be free,
Nor ever chaste, except you ravish me.

One of the interesting and potentially ironic things about the Christian faith is the fact that the human soul is in such bondage to sin that it needs to be set free. To be truly free the soul must first be rescued from the bondage of sin, but then recaptured and subdued by God as we are "prone to wander" as we remember in the hymn "Come, Thou Fount of Every Blessing."

As the Bride of Christ, He sought us and bought us with His redeeming blood. He loved us ere we knew Him and all our love is due Him.

If at the core of conversion is a change in the affections, as the lovers of the darkness become lovers of the Light of the World, then Donne really gets it.

Note again the end:
But am betroth'd unto your enemy;
Divorce me, untie or break that knot again,
Take me to you, imprison me, for I,
Except you enthrall me, never shall be free,
Nor ever chaste, except you ravish me.
The human race is filled with passion, and our passionate love for sin and darkness and all things evil has to be overcome as our passionate love is turned toward righteousness and light and things godly as we then love God and others.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 11 October, 2006 05:03, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Reminds me of Bunyan's allegorical work about the town of Mansoul that actually wages war against Jesus until Jesus overthrows the former king, Diablos, and sets himself up as The King. Then, the people love Jesus, but are still tempted to stray. Good reading. I don't think that Bunyan was a fan of that "gentleman" theory either, so Dunne is in good company.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting