Now that's what I call high quality H2O.
A freshman at Eagle Rock Junior High won first prize at the greater Idaho Falls Science Fair, April 26, 1997. He was attempting to show how conditioned we have become to alarmist practicing junk science and spreading fear of everything in our environment.
In his project he urged people to sign a petition demanding strict control or total elimination of the chemical “dihydrogen monoxide.”
He gave the following reasons:
* It can cause excessive sweating and vomiting.
* It is a major component in acid rain.
* It can cause severe burns in its gaseous state.
* Accidental inhalation can kill you.
* It decreases effectiveness of automobile brakes.
* It has been found in tumors of terminal cancer patients.
He asked 50 people if they supported a ban of the chemical. Forty-three said yes, six were undecided, and only one knew that the chemical was H20 (i.e., water).
The title of his prize winning project was, “How Gullible Are We?” It would seem that the answer is obvious.