Saturday, April 11, 2009

You take the red pill - you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes.

It's not uncommon for the question of "Easter" eggs and bunnies and their legitimacy in the church to come up. It often gets rather heated in the process.

2 things I've shared in response to Facebook friends.

Timothy Hammons asked,
"How in the world did we get from a empty tomb to brightly colored eggs, sun dresses, cards, streamers, chocolate bunnies, Easter bonnets,... etc?"

As a kid, I did hunt eggs and all that, but had absolutely no clue as to the resurrection of Jesus. In my case, at least, the other stuff eclipsed Jesus.


My sister, Brandi, shared the following:
the Easter Bunny died on the basket so we could be forgiven of all our easter egg hunts.

We've never done the eggs or bunnies with our kids, but with my inquisitive kids it may have been quite interesting had we done so.

"Dad, why do we color eggs and eat chocolate bunnies?"

"Well, Jesus died on the cross to pay for sin and rose again. That's why."


I'm sure they'd call me out on that non sequitor in record time.

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 11 April, 2009 11:32, Blogger Strong Tower said...

Murdered bunnies.

Cruel!

Heartless!!

Sacrilege!!!

As a kid I waited for the other kids to do the hunt then I stole their baskets.

P.S. it's sequitur. I think Sequitor was one of the transformers ;)

from the Matrix,

Peeps

 
At 11 April, 2009 16:02, Blogger Timothy said...

Hi Gunny,
Yes, we are at a happy medium in our church, at least I think. I get to say it's a pagan ritual, my wife plays the Easter Mommy, we have the egg hunts, and then I get to preach about the resurrection. Not the best possible scenario, but one that I can live with. I don't know that it's worth a battle over, so I live with it.
May the Lord be merciful with me.
Blessings

 
At 11 April, 2009 17:02, Blogger not used anymore. said...

I'm with you, Gun, the bunnies, eggs, and baskets, for me, replaced the Truth about Easter when I was a kid. Don't even get me started about Christmas. People claim that it's fun for the kids, well, you can ask my children I will assure you they do not feel as if they have been robbed of any fun at all. Most importantly to me is that they have not been "robbed" of the Truth. There is no fun in that for me.

Just my opinion delivered in my signature boldness.

 
At 11 April, 2009 19:18, Anonymous Ron said...

Can you believe churches actually going along with such pagan practices? I mean, what's next... Christmas trees on the stage?!?

}-)

 
At 12 April, 2009 07:19, Blogger Lance said...

The pagan rituals were here before the Church made it an official holiday.

I guess they have dibs then?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting