Friday, April 10, 2009

It's ironic. He could save others from death, but not himself.

Tonight Providence Church is having a Good Friday service, a large part of which is exposition & meditation upon the 7 sayings of Jesus on the cross:
  1. "Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing." (Luke 23:34)
  2. "I tell you the truth, today you will be with me in paradise." (Luke 23:43)
  3. "Dear woman, here is your son," and to the disciple, "Here is your mother." (John 19:26-27)
  4. "Eloi, Eloi lama sabachthani?" (Matthew 27:46)
  5. "I thirst." (John 19:28)
  6. "It is finished." (John 19:30)
  7. "Father, into your hands I commit my spirit." (Luke 23:46)
It will be somewhat of a somber occasion, but only somewhat since we know what comes next: the resurrection of Jesus from the dead.

He could have saved Himself, but chose not to, to please the Father and to pay for the sins of His sheep.
"11 I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep. 14 I am the good shepherd. I know my own and my own know me, 15 just as the Father knows me and I know the Father; and I lay down my life for the sheep. 18 No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down, and I have authority to take it up again. This charge I have received from my Father." (John 10:11, 14-15, 18; ESV)

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 11 April, 2009 13:18, Blogger Jade said...

That video is a powerful reminder what our Lord had undergone on our behalf. May we live worthy of such a calling.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting