Monday, March 16, 2009

Mercy?! I'm afraid that my condition has left me cold to your pleas of mercy.

The following are some quotes I used in my sermon yesterday at Providence Church, “Mercy Me, Mercy You,” and a few that I ultimately had to leave out.
“Blessed are the merciful, for they shall receive mercy.”
-Matthew 5:7
Click to listen.

“Mercying others shows that you’ve been mercied by God.”
-Gunny

“The Christian gospel places all its primary emphasis upon being rather than doing. The gospel puts a greater weight upon our attitude than upon our actions. … A Christian is something before he does anything; and we have to be Christian before we can act as Christians.”
-D. Martyn Lloyd-Jones

“[The cross] is God, I say, looking down upon man in his pitiful condition as the result of sin, and having pity upon him.”
-D. Martyn Lloyd-Jones

“My willingness to mercifully forgive others demonstrates that I have been mercifully forgiven.”
-Gunny

“If, when you sin, you see it and in repentance go to God, and there on your knees immediately realize that you are not forgiving somebody else, you will have no confidence in your prayers; you will despise yourself.”
-D. Martyn Lloyd-Jones

“We proclaim, therefore, whether we have received forgiveness or not by whether we forgive or not.”
-D. Martyn Lloyd-Jones

“If you are not merciful there's a good possibility that you aren't a Christian. Those who show mercy are merciful because they have received that characteristic from God.”
-John F. MacArthur, Jr.

“If I am not merciful there is only one explanation; I have never understood the grace and mercy of God; I am outside Christ; I am yet in my sins, and I am unforgiven.”
-D. Martyn Lloyd-Jones

To be merciful “is a melting disposition whereby we lay to heart the miseries of others and are ready on all occasions to be instrumental for their good.”
-Thomas Watson

“No merciful man could forget the poor. He who passed by their ills without sympathy, and saw their sufferings without relieving them, might prate as he would about inward grace, but grace in his heart there could not be.”
-Charles Haddon Spurgeon

“And should not you have had mercy on your fellow servant, as I had mercy on you?”
-Jesus in parable of unmerciful servant (Matt 18:33)

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 16 March, 2009 11:47, Blogger samurai said...

Some excellent quotes Gunny. Thank you for sharing that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting