Sunday, March 01, 2009

And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

As I child I remember hearing this bedtime prayer somewhere. I thought of it again recently, particularly the theology of it.
"Now I lay me down to sleep.
I pray the Lord my soul to keep.
If I should die before I wake,
I pray the Lord my soul to take."

It seems to me there's a fine line between humility and uncertainty. I'm not sure how I feel about this yet, but I'm thinking a regenerate child of God could/would/should have greater confidence about the destination of his/her soul in the event of unexpected death in the night.

What does this prayer teach, particularly to children?

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At 02 March, 2009 07:47, Blogger Chris Brauns said...

"So I got that going for me."

"Big hitter the Llama."

 
At 02 March, 2009 09:42, Blogger etoc said...

We do the "kinder, gentler" version:

"Now I lay me down to sleep.
I pray the Lord my soul to keep.
Angels watch me through the night
until I wake with morning light."

On a purely practical level, those sentiments are a lot more conducive to a peaceful transition into sleep than contemplating the potential imminence of death and the unresolved question of one's eternal fate!

 
At 02 March, 2009 15:58, Blogger GUNNY said...

I do like that better, etoc. It makes me wanna say, "Gunga, Gunga Guh-lunga."

 
At 11 March, 2009 00:27, Blogger Jade said...

I think this two year old girl tops you guys by being more Scriptural. Here she actually sings the Lord's prayer! :ob

 
At 11 March, 2009 12:28, Blogger GUNNY said...

She's amazing ... and such a great, big finish.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting