Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Now, you remember that, and you will live a long and healthy life.

In Ps 119:9 David asks and answers an important question:
"How can a young man keep his way pure?"
By guarding it according to your word." (ESV)
David's subsequent personal application?
"I have stored up your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you." (Ps 119:11)
A stellar example of Scripture memory put to use was Jesus. When tempted by the devil in the wilderness (Luke 4:1-11), Jesus used Scripture as a weapon (cf. Eph 6:17) to deflect his attacks.

Prior to my conversion I was encouraged to memorize Scripture and have never looked back. I hope to encourage you in Scripture Memory because of all the benefits therein.

Read John Piper on why to memorize Scripture.

Check out (read, watch, or listen) John Piper's sermon on John 15:1-7, "If My Words Abide in You."
"Memorizing Scripture enables me to hit the devil in the face with a force he cannot resist, and so protect myself and my family from his assaults."
I used the Topical Memory System (TMS) in college and found it convenient and effective. But I also benefited from practicing my verses by hand writing them.

Desiring God ministries also has some memory verse packs, the first more for young kids and the other for older kids & adults.

Read (pdf) Dr. Andrew Davis' An Approach to the Extended Memorization of Scripture, which we gave out at Providence Church last year.

Check out some free Scripture memory songs.

Check out 18 Tricks to Memorize More Scripture.

Check out Lee's technique, that requires typing the text in your word processor.

Check out Sandi Hester's technique, particularly helpful in reviewing many different verses to keep them current.

Train up your kids and enter them in the Bible Bee, which tests Scripture Memory as a spelling bee tests the spelling of words.

One of the Sunday school teachers at Providence Church encourages the kids to employ his Jericho Method. Read the text 7 times each night for 7 days and you should have it.

Another technique entails taking a larger portion of text and removing all but the first letter of each word. After reading the full text a few times, it shouldn't be that hard to recite it with just the initials. You essentially wean yourself off the prompt. Here is a tool to help with this. Paste the text to memorize in the top box, and the initials appear in the bottom.

Some practical suggestions:
  1. If you could con a friend or family member into being a wing man, I think it would help immensely. Memorizing together encourages accountability and a common goal.
  2. Despite techniques, remember that memorization takes some time. But it's time well spent.
  3. Since you may be more of an auditory learner like myself, you might benefit greatly from hearing the Scripture out loud, especially from your own mouth. Read the text out loud and you might even try to recite it as you hear yourself say it on tape/CD/mp3, etc.
  4. Start off small, but don't think it's out of the question for you to memorize chapters or even books of the Bible.
  5. Remember that the goal is the glorification of God through godliness as the Word of God dwells in you richly (Col 3:16), not impressing others are feeling spiritually superior.

Any other thoughts and/or suggestions on Scripture memory?

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 07 May, 2009 16:27, Blogger not used anymore. said...

in the screenaver section on computers there is a screen saver called "scrolling marque." You can enter any text you want into here. I used to, wish I was saying still did, put Scripture in there and would see it flash across my computer screen all the time. Once I memorized it I would change to a new one.

"I have hidden your word in my heart so that I might not sin against you" is my favorite verse. I have a nice Africa story about that verse. I'm sure it was a blog post.

 
At 08 May, 2009 12:54, Blogger Mark said...

Is the title a quote from "O Brother, where art Thou?"

Seems Ulysses Everett McGill gave that advice to Delmar O'Donnel in the movie theater.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting