Monday, September 22, 2008

There's been a slight change in the narrative, an unexpected twist, you might say.

The Cowboys beat the Packers for the first time at Lambeau Field Sunday night.

But I was most impressed with Terrell Owens. He impressed me in ways I never would have expected.

His numbers were pedestrian: 2 catches for 17 yards, no touchdowns, and 1 dropped ball.

BUT ...

1. Despite his lack of involvement and assumed frustration, you never saw Owens yelling or asking, "Why am I here?" or complaining in the least. The camera kept on him on the sidelines with the expectation we'd get some of that, but Owens restrained any personal frustration he might have been feeling.

2. Tony Romo threw an interception in the end zone and the safety had visions of running it back. He did for 61 yards, but it could have been much more. After getting knocked to the ground after the interception, Owens was the one who raced up the field and tackled the thief from behind. The bad guys only got a field goal out of that drive, but it certainly could have been more.

3. Felix Jones had a 60 yard touchdown run and on it Terrell Owens hustled down the field to block for him to make sure he made it into the end zone untouched. Another hustle play whereby he was working hard for the glory of another.

I was surprised we didn't hear Madden or Michaels mention these hustle plays, but they may not like Owens. Nonetheless, those plays contributed to a night where I was the most impressed with Terrell Owens that I've been.

I don't want to overly harsh in criticizing his previous corpus of work or overstate his performance in last night's game, but has Terrell Owens perhaps turned the corner in becoming a team player? If last night is any indication, I'd say he certainly has.

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

At 22 September, 2008 14:14, Blogger Ched said...

I agree. Perhaps watching Jason Witten do the same things day in and day out have rubbed off on T.O.

It was a good, ridiculously scrappy game.

 
At 22 September, 2008 15:24, Blogger Rev. said...

I noticed the same things, particularly on Jones' run. Perhaps he has, perhaps he has...

 
At 22 September, 2008 15:26, Blogger GUNNY said...

If he could keep that attitude in check and not drop the ball, it would go a long way toward this team's success AND his legacy being one of a great player.

Again, I don't want to crown him anything just yet, but those were very encouraging signs when it would have been VERY easy to do the opposite of what he did.

 
At 22 September, 2008 16:54, Blogger Lance said...

It's interesting, isn't it, how humility is attractive and arrogance is repulsive.

Good eye, bro. Perhaps T. O. is growing up.

 
At 22 September, 2008 17:42, Blogger Jeff Wright said...

Hail to the Redskins! The countdown to Sunday begins.

Sincerely,
Your Resident Hater

 
At 23 September, 2008 11:25, Blogger samurai said...

The sports media has their favorites and they slant their reporting - intentional or not.

I have to admit that I Owens is a guy I always drop off my fantasy draft lists. I know he is a good receiver, I just don't want him on a "team" I manage.

Good points - he is becoming a good team player.

 
At 23 September, 2008 14:40, Blogger Timothy said...

That's good to hear, and hopefully the entire team will learn from it.

 
At 29 September, 2008 13:51, Blogger GUNNY said...

Anyone see the "old" T.O. return last night?

He complained in the press conference about not getting his love (my terminology), with a comment like, "When I'm involved good things happen and we win, so I should have got it more." (rough paraphraise)

But, watching the game I felt they were trying too hard to get him involved.
T.O. - 19 plays (either thrown to or handed off)
Marion Barber - 8 runs
Felix Jones - 0 runs

Total offensive plays - 58

Yeah, he was involved intentionally in 1/3 of the offense and it wasn't enough.

Barber found running tough, but I thought they needed to run Jones in there for a "change of pace."

The defense would bend, but not break, but enough bending (i.e., field goals) and no takeaways are cause for concern.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting